Options

Boat history info

Is there some way i can find out the history of my boat? Curious as to how many owners and if any engine changes took place etc. 

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rinker might be able to help with your hull number and the s/n's off the motor(s) and drive(s) and see if they match.  I'm not sure if you can get title history?

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Chrisvr6Chrisvr6 Member Posts: 166 ✭✭
    Thanks guys. I actually almost started another thread titled "how many hours on your engine". Mine 454mag has over 800 and runs so strong. Just wondering if it is even the original. 
  • Options
    How many hours does 150k miles translate too. 
  • Options
    Boathistoryreport.com is $35. No thanks. Not that curious. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    edited September 2014
    The article by BoatUS didn't have anything positive to say about BoatHistoryReport.com.  In almost all relevant categories, the authors concluded "It is unlikely that BoatHistoryReport.com could provide complete or accurate data." 

<a href="http://my.boatus.com/consumer/historyhollow.asp">http://my.boatus.com/consumer/historyhollow.asp</a>

According to them, anybody wanting the equivalent of Carfax for boats will probably be disappointed by BoatHistoryReport.com.  I'm not saying BoatUS is gospel (or Carfax, for that matter), but the article is worth reading even though it's several years old.  

They also note that some information is available free to the public at the U.S. Coast Guard Web site, www.uscgboating.org.  

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they are the original engines and if the owners registered the engines each time, the engine supplier would have a history. But those are big ifs. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    RWBLACK6RWBLACK6 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Chrisvr6;  According to AL [ Rinker answer man ] ,  1000 hrs. on a boat engine equals 100,000 miles on car engine, roughly. 
  • Options
    Import or domestic car engine? 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    98 hours...I have a long way to go I hope!
  • Options
    bigal6030bigal6030 Member Posts: 157 ✭✭

My 2008 Ford F250 - 5.7L engine has 6325 hours on it. Translates to 160,000 miles. My last boat had 850 hours on a 5.7L and the engine ran great.

Big Al - 2006 - 270 Express Crusier

Home port: Hammond Ind.

• Options
    According to bigal6030, how many miles is 800hrs equivalent to? 
  • Options
    800 hours over how many years?

If the boat is 10 years old, it averaged 80 engine hours/year for 10 years.  That is solid, consistent use -- and probably solid, consistent maintenance.  My guess is that 80 hrs/yr on a boat is like 10k mi/yr on a car.  So a boat with 800 hours is like a car with 100k miles.  That engine has many years of service left in it.

However, if the boat is 20 years old, that could mean the boat spent most of her life sitting neglected in the slip.  All bets are off regarding engine life.  
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    Here is a question.  The Salt Shaker is run at trawler speed a lot.  So is a trawler speed hour the same as an "on plane" hour or do I get some credit for light duty operation?
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you get extra credit for the 'trawler speeds'..less engine stress.  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

x

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    Don't the engine computers track engine hours vs. RPM?  I think it can read out how many hours above 3000 RPM, hours above 3500 RPM, etc.

A boat with 95% of the hours below 1500 RPM should be younger than one that's been run at WOT all the time.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The computer does keep track of RPM and hours at that RPM. When I got my boat surveyed, the surveyor broke the hours down into 500 RPM increments, which was pretty cool.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    The article by BoatUS didn't have anything positive to say about BoatHistoryReport.com.  In almost all relevant categories, the authors concluded "It is unlikely that BoatHistoryReport.com could provide complete or accurate data." 

According to them, anybody wanting the equivalent of Carfax for boats will probably be disappointed by BoatHistoryReport.com.  I'm not saying BoatUS is gospel (or Carfax, for that matter), but the article is worth reading.  

They also note that some information is available free to the public at the U.S. Coast Guard Web site, www.uscgboating.org.