Options

Wired on through hull valves

MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hello Team! 

Why are there wires going to my through hull fitting isolation valves?  What are they for? 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

Comments

• Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    Bonding the system.... anticorrosion.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Yerp bonding for anti-corrosion.......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    And also lightning protection.  It's a complex subject.  
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    .... reference Chapmans..... :)

(frikken new image link system sux)
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahhhhhhhhh!  OK, all makes sense now.  What threw me really off was the two wire on the toilet (head) through hull.  I was thinking maybe it's a solenoid that I can switch from above!  NOT!

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Interesting my boat has none of these bonded: A/C, toilet, nor the gen thru hulls.   wondering if it's another winter project worth doing....

edit:

I just found this researching around:

Bonding Primer

For the most part, all metals touching sea water should be bonded, including seawater pumps, strainers, and plumbing. Moreover, all electrical equipment and large metal objects should be grounded to prevent electric shock and increase lightning safety.

Fuel tanks and fills should be linked with the main DC negative bus or a battery terminal. Bronze through-hull fittings are an exception. ABYC leans toward bonding, but also allows through-hulls to be isolated. As noted above, among the issues that can arise is wood damage—the tiny amounts of current passing through bonding wires can deteriorate nearby wood, including the wooden backing blocks that are often installed beneath the flanges of through-hull fittings.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    RY, you also don't have it?  I'm a bit surprised BD that yours aren't done either.  I'm not sure I've seen boats that didn't have it bonded. (well, one's built in the last 15 years or so)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Yes, I've seen builders use two small wires instead of one large wire.  

Bonding of metal thru-hulls is interesting.  In addition to the possible wood damage that BD pointed out, I've also read that a bonded metal thru-hull is more vulnerable to catastrophic damage in a lightning strike.  

So, which risk is better for metal thru-hulls:  If you bond it, a lightning strike could destroy the thru-hull and sink the boat.  If you don't bond it, stray current could corrode the thru-hull over time, and if nobody notices, it could break and sink the boat. 

Rinker bonded all of the thru-hulls on my boat.  (My surveyor pointed out that the bonding wire on the AC intake is too small and not the right color.)
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    RY and I have the odd-ball 342's of the bunch.  lol  I had to upgrade the trim tab switch to the lighted type..and I noticed on some 2002 models they came with them...same for my cockpit frig that was 12VDC only..had to upgrade that to the 120VAC/12VDC with a converter and yet older 342's had this stock.  Go figure!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    No hose clamps.  The wire needs a ring terminal attached to a screw or bolt on the body of the fitting.  Most marine thru-hull fittings have a built-in bonding screw.
  • Options
    I'll have to look, but I do not remember seeing and screw for bonding. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI