Options

10 hours on 350 MAG.. change oil for Winter or wait until 20 hours next spring?

Mike_GMike_G Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys...

So, they are winterizing the new boat next week.  Should I have them (or do it myself) change the oil for the winter, even though I was only able to get ~10 hours on the motor?  350 MAG, no SeaCore.

-=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those blow by gasses that are inevitable turn to acids in the suspension of the oil, and fall... .  they counter the ability for the oil to cling to hard parts, and instead leave the metal bare... there is a metallurgical phrase for this that escapes me even if i had a firm grasp on it at any point, but.... change it... 
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah def change it before winter and again at 20 hours next spring. Its a stupid simple job with a manual extraction pump to the dipstick tube, and its cheap insurance.

http://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1197/first-oil-change-completed#latest
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah def change it before winter and again at 20 hours next spring. Its a stupid simple job with a manual extraction pump to the dipstick tube, and its cheap insurance.

http://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1197/first-oil-change-completed#latest
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Change it.........
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    No matter the hours, always change the oil and filter prior to storage.

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

• Options

Ahhh.. crap.  I should have checked back here earlier.  I would have gone down and done it after work today.

Dealer said "No way, it has break-in oil that needs to stay in there until 20 hours" so I did not delay the haul-out.  They are going to pull it out of the water tomorrow or the next day.  @#!  They already received the shipping cover from Rinker, so I don't know how long I have until the truck comes to pick it up (to take it back to the factory).  They have to winterize it before Rinker will ship it.

I'm gonna call them tomorrow morning and hope to delay the haul-out.  Does anyone know where to get the supplies in the link above?  Does West Marine usually have that stuff?

1 gallon Mercury 20W-40  (92-858088K01) $38
    1 quart Mercury 20W-50 (92-858087K01) $10
    1 Mercury Racing Oil filter (35-881126K01) - High efficiency & higher capacity $20
    1 Mercury Crankcase Oil Pump (802889A) $38

Aarrrgh (not really ;-)

-=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options

AHh... just read further in that post...  "Blue Water Marine" and West Marine were both mentioned.

Might have to take the day off of work tomorrow (or at least the afternoon).  Darn! (sarcastically) ;-)

-=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    Mike G.:  I'm just weighing in late to your old discussion about that 260 with only ten hours on it.  Hey! You have my identical boat.  Also only put about 10 hours on since I picked it up new in Sept and stored in Oct.  You'll be fine if you didn't bother changing the fluids after only 10 hours run time.  Good choice!
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    Just an idea.  Change the oil but refil with more break in oil.  Then do the final 10 hours in the spring when back in the water.

Tony
    Salt Shaker 342
  • Options

SWEET BOAT!!!  lol  How did you like it so far?

Yeah.. for the oil, I'll figure something out.  The 10 hours will be done in the first week or two it's in the water if it's even semi-warm and sunny.  My boat has been stored inside at the Rinker factory since it was pulled out of the water and shipped back.  At least it's been nice and warm (and dry) the whole time.

I just got a new completion date of Feb. 11th.  I'm going to go down and check it out once it's confirmed that it's done, and then they'll ship it back.  I have to let my marina know so that they can make space.  I was thinking of trying to get them to delay a little longer (so it can just stay inside the rest of the winter), but I don't want the shipping to be delayed in the spring due to all of the 2015 boats being shipped then.

"Spring is coming" !!!  Can't wait!  -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC