Options

Black_Diamond Hope This Helps

raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
I did not have a level with me so I put some water in a glass and this is what I got. Hope you can see this ok. 
2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com

Comments

• Options
    CaptianDanCaptianDan Member Posts: 94 ✭✭

I like your hob @raybo3, where did you get it from?

"Pipe Dream"
    2002 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee
    2 x 350 MAG MPI Horizon Petrol

• Options
    What is a hob??????
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the pic, way, way more level then mine.  Still wating on Randy to call me back about this.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    CaptianDanCaptianDan Member Posts: 94 ✭✭
    The black cooking device your plastic glass is standing on in the first photo.  It's the British crazy cooking appliance term. :-)

"Pipe Dream"
    2002 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee
    2 x 350 MAG MPI Horizon Petrol

• Options
    Makes 2 of us!  lol

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I find that amazing that yours was built like that. Did you not see it when you bought the boat? Surveyor? CaptDan thanks for letting me know what hob...lol I installed a new one last year because I dropped something on it and the glass broke. If I remember it was about $200 and I got it from (I think) a company called Kanyon but I could check that for you if you are planning on getting one. Just let me know....
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raybo, I think it's a Kenyon. My friend dropped a beer on his and had to replace it. He said it was the most expensive bottle of beer in his life. That's why I use cans! MT
  • Options
    Yes Michael it is Kenyon. Thanks. I also try not to use bottles on my boat. Only problem is Grey Goose does not come in cans.....lol
  • Options
    pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    Even if it did,it just wouldn't be the same,Grey Goose that is.!!!!!!

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

• Options
    I did not notice it when we bought. Hindsite: I should have had it surveyed even being new. A few things would have been caught prior to buying that the dealer would have addressed at the time.  My dealer was a POS to be honest, I think they closed up shop and for good reason. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I did not realize that you bought it brand new. That really $uck$ that it is like that. 
  • Options
    BD, would it be worth your while to get some pictures from list members who have the same year (or close) to yours? I ask this because you might spot a non-designed production Re-do". By this I mean if in your particular case, someone on the line screwed-up he/she may have installed a filler board, shim or other noticable and therefore inappropriate fix to cover-up their mistake. Rinker uses patterns that should have fit your boat "normally" as part of the assembly line protocols. Like many boat builders the modules are designed to drop-in, screw together and fasten down - UNLESS - someone screweded-up. If that happened I am pretty sure Rinker would come-up with a fix for you. I'd get pictures of the offending area from other "sisterships" and compare them to yours. Take measurements, pictures of levels being off, heck even a video - then I'd pick up the phone. My 2 cents. MT
  • Options
    Steve, mine seems to be operatiuonal - according to the criteria. Do you know what years there was supposed to be a problem? Was it a a pecific model? I don't personally know a Rinker owner whose Fireboy was mis-wired at the factory. MT
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure Randy doesn't want other people looking at your boat BD, to think they didn't pay attention to details like that. It won't leave a good impression. I'm sure it is worth their while to try and fix it.  I can't imagine it would be a significant fix.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Steve, I don't speculate as to whys and why nots. If I have an opinion, I state clearly that it is my opinion.....and my opinion is that I have been dealing with Rinker Boats and Randy Rinker for 22 years and five new boat buys with them. Over those years Randy and Rinker have always come through for me - in fact far better than any other dealer of automobiles or expensive purchases I have made. I have never claimed Rinker is perfect - but - for 22 years .....and IMO - that's one h*ll of a long time to have a great record with a customer, they have stood behind all five boats I have purchased from them. IMO in the cruising class of boats there is nothing that even remotely compares with the Rinkers in their class size and even other boats that are 100K more still don't have the features that Rinker ships in their cruisers.  I have not intended to put Randy on a pedestal, that place is reserved for the Admiral and the Lord, but.....Randy has done some really neat things for me - for example - he moved the Axius control on my 2014 EC 360 from the side coaming to the dash, so I could use it standing up. That friggin' saved my life when going through 20 canal locks! Randy ok'd the installation of the new Raymarine E Series GPS. Randy ok'd the use of Diamante Frost upholstery on my seats. All of that was awesome. In other words Randy allowed me to make some custom touches on a production line boat. Randy has been fair and decent with me for over two decades. I'd be an a**hole if I didn't really appreciate that - and say so. MT
  • Options
    pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭

Love the stories I hear about Randy. EVERYTIME I e-mailed him, answer instantly !!

Gotta love that.

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

• Options
    Steve, I wouldn't want to hide like that pos "Bin there there got smoked". But that's what happens to you when you count on the Pakistani "intelligence" to hide you. :-) MT
  • Options
    I just talked with Randy about this, he said they never had a complaint about it being off level and that the insert was basically unchanged through the production years of the 342 and it was all CNC routered.  he said it would be a big job to try to fix as all the attachment points would have to be redone.

I think I'll pull the frig and take a hard look with the drawers out and see if is it worth my trouble.  My other thought was to just redo the corian piece with the range (hob lol) by laminating a piece over it to fix that part. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking the same BD, except shim the bottom up and put the laminate cover on the bottom to cover up the angled bottom you will inevitably end up with.  But what about the top cupboard, are you going to square this with the corian top?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Hey BD why not sell your boat and buy RY with the non-gas engines......lol
  • Options
    I didn't want to stir up too much trouble on the call with the FB issue.  Which reminds me I need to order the FB option with the alarm.  lol 

When I hit the lotto and get my ~50' cruiser I'll go diesel. 

I don't totally buy the 'nothing changed' thing..usually that line is used to cover up things that changed.  I've heard it way too many times only to find out things were changed.  The triangle storage area in front of the TV cabinet is a good example: on the port side it cleared the V-berth cushion about 1"...on the Starboard side it was low enough it jammed into the top of the cushion, so I added a 'filler' trim piece to level it out to the other and give room to tuck in sheets and stuff.  nice to have friends who do woodwork!  lol

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    BD, I'm sure you've done this: google Rinker 342 and look at the units for sale on the yachtworld.com site (not.uk site - too small a sampling). There are often dozens of boats, of different years, with interior shots that might help.MT
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Steve, I haven't been looking at them but I hoped there might be a boat or two that offered a comparable visual. MT.... .Just got off the site - take a look, Steve. What do you think? P.S. One of them has a big plant blocking the shot - some of the others show......
  • Options
    My FB is fixed.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Just so happens a newer 342 than mine is right in front of mine in the storage building (has the 342 badge on the arch side if that helps with the year).  So I was able to to see the transom placement difference..got to be 18" more aft than mine.  I can only imagine the bonus room in the engine compartment to mine.  The white bottom is the newer model (blasted for new bottom paint).

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I didn't get on the other boat so can't speak for the firewall, so just more room for the engines...and a body to work on them!  

PC BYC, Holland, MI