Options

Engine Hatch Actuator

CaptianDanCaptianDan Member Posts: 94 ✭✭
Calling all experts!!  Does anyone know the throw of the actuator to open the engine hatch on a Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee?  I know the actual length is 17". Thanks!

"Pipe Dream"
2002 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee
2 x 350 MAG MPI Horizon Petrol

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Enough to let you in, but not enough to be comfortable when you're in the bilge.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If my boat wasn't at the dealer being winterized, I would have checked it tonight for you. Sorry. I might have a picture of it open with me in the bilge. Would you be able to get a rough measurement from that?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can measure mine this weekend. You would need to verify the mounting locations in case they differ. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Thanks @markbellino but I probably wouldn't be able to gauge it correctly.  Thanks @black_diamond that would be great! 

"Pipe Dream"

• Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    My 320 is about 3.5 feet.  Enough to stand straight up via the bilge.  I am 5'10.
  • Options
    RWBLACK6RWBLACK6 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Capt. Dan;  my 2004 342,measured this summer. My note says ;  The piston length is24 1/2 inches from top of tube to the top pin on hatch, when fully raised. From bottom pin to top pin , when raised is 51 7/8 inches.  [ Bottom pin hooks the tube to the floor bracket] 
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I would think the kind of lift used in the 342 can only go double it's length, and we're constrained by the amount of space between the bottom of the hatch and the attachment point of the lift.  Now if you could find a 3 segment lift that could go more than double it's closed length you could have the hatch open nice and wide.  But I'm going to guess that something like that is very expensive.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    How much clearance is on the other side of the stern seat. I don't think I could add another 50% lift without the rumbler seat hitting the swim deck.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    No I don't. I have the 260.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    24" is about the max you'll find in these actuators for stroke length with a single screw.  Segmented actuators let you get the stroke length and be compact when retracted, but unless you are willing to break out the MAJOR dollars for this it's not really feasable..and then they usually are hydraulic driven so you need pump, tank, valves and the power to run it too.

We made the wing sweep actuator for the B-1 bomber, dual telescoping ball screw actuator.  I think it was a 12' stroke length..a monster.  You don't want to know the cost  lol

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Perfect thanks @rwblack6 

"Pipe Dream"

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well Steve I don't know what the "longest one" is that you can get on your 342. I do know what the "longest one" you can get on a 360 is - and I bet it's longer than the one on your 342!  LOL MT
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    If you move the cam closer to the hinge point won't it open more? 

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    Careful mark... looks like a 340+ discussion only...   B)
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod

BD, I used to do some work on the bomber as well, at Edwards and TX.

I agree with you all on the 342s hatch.  I work more in the 342s than I do in my own boat and they are a real pain.  The 2003 has to be the absolute worst and the only way to do anything is remove the pin and tilt it all the way back.  2004 and up at least give you some room in front of the engines.

MT...aahhhmmm, let's talk about length of actuator.  :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    RY, that's good, cause with the age of your actuator it could be concern. :)

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I find a little lube helps with it moving smoother.......LOL
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    DI: did the 2004+ 342's move the firewall more towards the bow or did they move the transom back (where outdrives mount)?

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options

They moved the transom back.  On 2003 there was larger 'shelf' behind the transom.  I believe this was an area for the outdrives to tuck more underneath.  It narrowed the engine room easily 1-2ft.  That's a lot of space to add between the firewall and the engines.  That shelf also collected water. No difference in cockpit area.  I have 3 close friends in my marina that own a 2003, 2004, and 2005 342.  Always fun to do some comparing.

• Options
    That makes sense.  Sure would be nice to have that room..and it does collect water :P  I bet performance helped too moving it back. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Back to the actuator...Mark made a comment about moving the mounting location to get the hatch to open more.  You can certainly do this to a point: a 24" stroke actuator will be near 33" long when retracted, so it may be limited as to the position it can be mounted based on the hatch to mount location distance.  Then you have the physics involved: the farther away from the hatch hinge you mount the actuator, the less load on the actuator (Force x Length)..moving the mount point closer to the hinges dramatically increases the load on the actuator and the stresses at the mounting locations (one could in theory drive the actuator right through the hatch!), it can cause you to have to get a higher rated actuator also.  The power requirements jump as you add load to the actuator too (motor amperage draw).  So you have to wander through the desicion points for an optimal solution based on the application.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    At least on mine: no. Rinker (smartly) installed a linear slip collar at the mount side at the hatch. Mine allows about 4" of play so you cannot retract it and rip it off the mount. 

You can buy these with setable limit switches just for this reason. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Mike_GMike_G Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Stodge said:
    Enough to let you in, but not enough to be comfortable when you're in the bilge.

LOL.. So True!  My 2014 260 doesn't even go up enough to let me sit with my legs hanging in.  I have to lie down on my stomach and reach.  Sort of useless.

I'm going to see if I can get it open and then pop off the pin and prop it up higher.

EDIT: Sorry.. just read that this is a "342 thread".. didn't know.

-=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    DerekD71DerekD71 Member Posts: 2
    Look for a hatch actuator for my 2007 Rinker express cruiser 350 anyone selling or know of manufacturer, before I brought the boat I think someone stole it 
  • Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 530 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    This is the label from my’03 310. Probably same manufacturer but not sure on model #
  • Options
    redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    oh god! good luck getting anywhere with Acculift.  I tried for 2 weeks.  Emails, website contact, phone number of person inside the company in the us.  emails to her as well.  No response period.  I just, today, ordered two new actuators from summit racing marine division.  they sell eddie marine actuators.  just get the specs and go eslewhere.  Acculift is a canadian company and they are either out of business or just DGAF.
    2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
    2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
    2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    I ordered one from Hardin marine last year,I’m happy with it
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    I was under the impression acculift didn't exist anymore when I researched a few years ago. There was another brand I ended up looking into but fixed my current lift instead. 

Didn't know summit had them. 

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/linear-actuators/product-line/eddie-marine-hatch-actuators
    1997 Bayliner 3988