Options

at the dock, waiting to get scooped:

212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2014 in Engine Discussions
while I'm backing trailer down ramp, the boat dies... No biggie, turn the key.... Chugchugchugchug, notta... No fire... Drag her over by rope and winch her on trailer, drag her the 1/4 mile to my house and slap muffs on her... Chugchugchugchug.. notta- wait! Dieseling and coughing through hat.... 

Basics, right? Let's trouble shoot.... Pulled boot off dizzy and laid it across risers, and laid a driver across solenoid to turn engine... As suspected, no fire... 

Check connections... Good... Check wires, good... Concerned about ignition module, on the account I'll have to go beerless a week or so to afford replacing it, but let's start at coil and have a beer or two... 

Find multimeter, fire at coil but it ain't pushing to engine... Bad coil, right? I've seen this happen on other engines, and due to bad run of insulation in coil, causing a cavity to heat and crack it up internally, but... That usually results in misfiring of some sort of warning... I'm thinking ignition module again, and decide to start savoring the beer I have a little more... 

My games about to come on, and I decide to continue tomorrow... But I may as well jott down some numbers, such as coil and iflgnition module, to go.ahead and price them out.... 

I pulled the boot off the top of the coil, this time... The boot end on the dizzy looked brand new, which it is, so I didn't even think to look at the coil end.... But... Glad I did... 

Fellers, I've never seen an ignition wire rot... It was as rotten as it could be... A matter of fact, it was so rotten I think it was the rot conducting the electricity for my entire ride today.... I have a spool, and some boots and clamps so I string up a new one and she went: chugchugGRRRRRRRR.... 

I thought I'd share this, because in all my exploits I've never seen that, or even heard of it... Plus, as arrogant as this sounds, it may help someone walk through their own troubleshooting, even though I would have never thought to look at a simple wire, and mostly because its less than three months old, it should maybe demonstrate how a small thing can turn into a big repair bill if you can't t/s on your own. 

By the way... I drank all my beer... Call it celebration.  :) 

Comments