Options

Battery Isolator

I recently purchased a 2006 Rinker 270 FV, have taken it out twice, both times battery 1 has gone dead. Both trips I started with fully charged batteries.
I started the engine with battery 1 and ran most of the day using that battery. It appears that somehow battery 1 is not being charged by the alternator.
I tested the alternator with the engine running and came up with 14.8-15 volts.

I checked the voltage at each battery with the engine running:
Batt 1 =5.86v
Batt 2 = 13.5v

So next I tested the battery isolator both connected to the system and disconnected.

Battery 1 connected to the system

Battery 1 disconnected from the system

Battery 2 connected to the system

Battery 2 disconnected from the system

Testing the isolator completely disconnected, it appears to be OK, however when everything is connected it appears to be faulty.

Any suggestions would be appreciated greatly as I do not want to spend $$ on a new isolator just to find out it is not the problem.

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Disconnect battery 1 and check whether you have a voltage at the battery connectors. If you do, the isolator isn't working or you have a bad ground as the voltage should be zero if isolated properly. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tested battery number one Load test) to see if it will hold a charge independently? Could it be bad? MT
  • Options
    Randycov2Randycov2 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you all for the comments. After rechecking the voltage passing through the isolator, from each battery with the engine running, I found the voltage at battery 1connector on the isolator was much less than battery 2. Decided that the isolator was faulty. I purchased a new one, installed and retested, seems to be good now. Going to Lake Powell tomorrow for 5 days, hope its good.
    Thanks again for the help!
  • Options
    BoatAwayBoatAway Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    how did you get your meter to levitate like that?
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    There is a pop out stand on the back of it.............
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com