Options

Back into Boating PLEASE HELP.

My_Dinghys_DinghyMy_Dinghys_Dinghy Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
edited January 2015 in Rinker Sport Boat Forum
It's been years since I have had a boat. I bought a Captiva 236 ('89) at auction. How do I tell which outdrive I have? (Got a merc cruiser but don't know which model.
Also, the swim deck platform rod is broken and not working (Very heavy lid, need to get that replaced) 
I need to replace the nodes (boat looks like it was kept in the water, I live across from a boat launch on lake erie, I am not leaving it in the water but need to replace the anodes and wondering what I need for fresh water...
Doing a 25 year old Project Boat after a 35 year hiatus from boat ownership.
Catch us on Kelley's Island at the Seaway or Portside Marina or Middle Bass at the State Park Marina MOST SUNDAYS and weekends in July! Call My Dinghy on Channel 16.
Post edited by mvn on

Comments

• Options
    floater212floater212 Confirm Email, Member Posts: 121 ✭✭
    for fresh water you would need magnesium anodes. the lift rods you can get almost any marina, just need the open and closed length and weight of deck, or take off the working one for comparison.
  • Options
    Thanks Floater, it only has 1 electric lift for the platform. 
    Catch us on Kelley's Island at the Seaway or Portside Marina or Middle Bass at the State Park Marina MOST SUNDAYS and weekends in July! Call My Dinghy on Channel 16.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you read the serial number on the drive? If so, plug it into the Merc parts express, or boats dot net website and it will let you know what you have.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options

Banned, wanted a project and it's been a while. I needed to do something to get back into the groove. Didn't want a small boat for Lake Erie and 24' is something I am comfortable with as well as not too small. The 8'6" beam is easier on my old bones (Just don't like the single outdrive when in a river with no wake and battling currents)

Why I didn't buy a new boat? Well, went to the Cleveland Boat show last week and got sticker shock (except for a nice 34' Four Winns for $89,900 but too much boat for me right now with the 12' beam and 500 gallon fuel tank and the twin 370's)

• Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    MDD- I have owned 2 of the 236's - a 1990 and a 1994. Both were the Mercruiser 454 with the Bravo 1 drive. I used a 21 pitch or a 23 pitch stainless prop. They really are great boats. The 21 pitch was for better hole shots when pulling skiers, tubers, etc. and the 23 pitch was for a higher top end when no water sports were on the agenda.
    Post edited by frodo13056 on
  • Options
    I have an alpha 1 outdrive and thinking a Chevy 350 (Small Block). Thanks for the info on the props, I was going to replace this year and looking stainless. Thinking with adult children and a grandchild that swims, probably a 21 so when I teach her to ski it will get my fat **** out of the water.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want hole shot with that engine/drive combo, look at a 17 pitch prop. You will lose top end, but it will pull your arms off. On my 232, if I was going to be skiing or boarding all day, I would switch from my 19 pitch to my 17 pitch prop.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    you should have no problem skiing with that setup.  I used to slalom ski behind a 24' Sundancer (heavy cruiser for the size at 4300lb dry) that had the alpha and a Chevy small block. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express