Options

LG Annual Service+ and XDP News

Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭

Hello fellow boaters. 

LG is on the hard getting normal service work done and then some.  I heard from my mechanic that VP has a new bulletin out, proving a special deal for those who still have the old XDP drives.  Now before you all go silly on me, just know I am sharing what I heard.  VP is offering 40% off retail price on the new ocean X drives in exchange for the XDP thru the end of 2014.  Yeah, I know, they should just come clean but we know that will never happen.  However, if your XDP is turning 8-10 years old soon, you may consider you did pretty good amortizing it out. And parts for it... Well think again and good luck. 

I did the swap 3 years ago this October.  Never one issue.  The lube that came out today was still golden in color after 100 hours of use this past season!  The bellows where dry and the alignment was like butter!

In addition, to normal drive service I had the following done.

Zincs, Bottom Paint, Starboard New risers and manifolds (9 years) and ready to be replaced! Port was done two years ago due to crack and (Hydo-locking). Port Props fixed, must have hit something and Starboard props balanced.  They look like a new set!  New Speedo too.

LG

Post edited by Lifes Good on

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    very interesting ! MT
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    LG,

It sounds great, 40% off!  I was ready to jump on the deal, until I started doing the math.  Even with the discount it would cost me roughly $25K!  For a boat that is worth around double that seems excessive.

Not to mention not having $25K laying around in spare change.

Patrick
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Unfortunately, this is what you need to do to convert a piece of Cr#p into a running piece of machinery.  I was not the first to change out the entire engine/drive systems and I do not believe I will be the last.  But the performance difference is staggering and worth the cost even though it is a cost that should not have happened.  Rinker let us down on this issue and so did Volvo.  No cost to Rinker for a fix and Volvo sold a total of 4 engines/drive systems to me.
    Post edited by TonyWalker on
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    I did not need to replace the engines but there was enough advantage in doing that that I agreed to go the entire way.  The Salt Shaker is a new boat in an experienced skin.
  • Options
    Yes it does suck!  But there are two choices... just Google your boat value with the xdp vs one with out.  It's staggering.  You'll get hit either way.   Either sell the boat with xdp for $25k less or invest in $25k.  The challenge with the first option is everyone now knows about the xdp and they will run before you can even show your boat.  
    If you love your boat and family safety, then don't get hung up on the the cost, get creative and figure it out.

I Agee 100% with salt shaker.  Been there done that.... and LG performs night and day vs the xdp.  Huge performance difference.
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    $6,500 is a good price for an Ocean X drive. However I'm having trouble getting a bid on labor in So. Cal. Shipping the old drive back is a huge pain in the a** for the shop doing the work apparently. This program is clearly an effort to blunt the class action suit against VP that's in the works.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was looking at one of these boats here in Fl., this forum saved me from making the mistake- got a bravo III and all seems to be good!
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    B3 is the way to go.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    LobodemarLobodemar Member Posts: 124 ✭✭
    run away from the XDP
  • Options
    I did, it was a great price, seller acted like they never heard of any problems and I was tempted at first but moved on....found a newer boat with the bravo III at about the same price.
  • Options
    All sellers know of the issue.  Shame on him... if he had any type of repair or conversation with a mechanic he would be liable for any repairs if you bought it.  It's a shame some many people think they can hide with a lie. Just DUMB.
  • Options
    just trying to unload their mistake and misfortune. I'd sure feel sorry for anyone that bought a boat like that and then have to spend 15 grand to replace everything- would have crushed me to be in that spot.
  • Options
    Yup unless you got the boat $20k below market and spent $15k you'd be a head.  
  • Options
    Fortunately for me, when I bought my boat as second owner in 2010, the reputation of the XDP was well known and I went in with eyes open and and knew the downside. I've replaced bellows, driveshaft and gimbel bearing as part of required service for a couple hundred hours of use, and the drive has been reliable. Having the 5.0 engine and a light boat didn't stress the drive that much and perhaps explains my better experience.

Performance-wise it may be lacking and but I won't know until a new Ocean-X is installed and I have a new benchmark. The price I paid for the boat was low and the original owner was the poor schlub who took a huge bath.
  • Options
    carpediemcarpediem Member Posts: 14
    Does any one know of a V-P dealer in NorCal worth their salt to do this job, I want to do the conversion but have always done my own work. I dont care so much about the $$s but I maintain aircraft for a living and prefer to have the same standards appied to my boat! Pisses me off when Manufacturers restrict their products to "dealer installed". I've seen some pretty substandard crap come from "Authorized Dealer shops"
  • Options
    Good VP is a must however you'll get a one year warranty with the new equipments. And get the shop to a written agreement to be sure all labor is covered above what VP covers!
  • Options
    If prices on the swaps are ridiculous in Nor. Cal., it may be a viable alternative to get quotes on www.uship.com to have the boat hauled So. Cal. for the work, then just put it up for sale in So. Cal too, where Rinkers are perhaps a wee bit more known as a brand.
  • Options
    carpediemcarpediem Member Posts: 14
    I'll know next week what the bottom line will be, then make my decision. There is a 2006 350 with Ocean X drives on the market in my area for $126,000. Been on the market with a good broker for 18 months. The owner won't budge on the price so there it sits! Im advertised for $97,500 with very little in the way of interest marketing it myself. No matter which way I go with the drive conversion, I am putting it with a broker and first offer owns a great Boat! **** 5footitis! 
  • Options
    buggyjdavbuggyjdav Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
    I was ready to sign a contract today on a 2004 342 Fiesta until I started reading about the drive issues. In the class action it said most problems were with 2006/2007 models, am I safe in a 2004 (or safer anyway)? Do all the Volvo power options on this boat have the issue? Please help! Thanks
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should just buy mine
  • Options
    duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    i can only hope that my 2006 xdp is one of the 60% that are good! i had no clue about the xdp issues until AFTER i bought my 2006 250 express! :/only time will tell.