Options

Draining the hot water tank then running the engine

seguirseguir Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

Questions: 1) Boat comes out of the water next week.  I am in the process of winterizing the water system.  Is it ok to drain the hot water tank before the engine is winterized.  What I am concerned about is the engine heat exchanger is heating up the hot water tank with no water in it.   Is this a concern?

2) Someone told me after I flush the anti-freeze through the pipes I should drain them afterwards.  Is it ok to leave the anti-freeze in the pipes?

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    #1, I do believe it is ok to run the engine without water in your water heater.  It is turning the electricity on that will fry the heating element.  Although, I do try to have water in it when running engine as well (but for winterization I'd think you will be fine).  If you can leave the water in, it sure wouldn't hurt until you were done with the engine.

#2, I'm assuming you are talking about fresh water.  I typically connect a air line to the city water connection.  Blow air thru (with air compressor) all the lines, opening one faucet at a time (don't forget stern shower).  Then I use the fresh water pump to pump pink thru and leave it in.  I've never had an issue leaving it in.  I guess up there in Canada, if others take it out, maybe cause it is -50F (that is when it is solid), it would be best to do that.  Talk with more neighbors, if that is what they do, then take it out afterwards.  In a way it makes sense (even though I don't go that route).  It would allow room for expansion of any pink stuff left.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    LobodemarLobodemar Member Posts: 124 ✭✭
    I use pink in my pipes and leave it in for winter.  I also leave all the faucets open.  Never had problem doing this
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    It's just hot water.  What you don't want is 110 on for hot water while draining.  Which I know you know.
  • Options
    seguirseguir Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

Thanks for your comments.