Options

Need a little info on water systems

Just picked up a 2006 270, this is my first boat with a water system. I like to know as much as I can about my boats where can I find some really good info on how all this works? Does the toilet have a seacock and draw out side water? Do all the sinks drain out of thru hull fittings or end up in the waste storage tank? I did find the shower sump I had no idea what it was, find some info on this site (thanks). I also found several bilge type pumps near the shower sump?

Any info would be great.

Big Al - 2006 - 270 Express Crusier

Home port: Hammond Ind.

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are at the right place to find out how all of that stuff (and more) works. The toilet brings in sea water. The seacock for that should be in the same place where the shower sump is at. One is for the toilet, one for the A/C system if you have it. The bilge pump should be your forward pump. The sinks drain via thru hull fittings on the boat. The only thing that ends up in the waste tank is the toilet. Others with the same boat will chime in and help as well.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some boats have grey water systems where they are not allowed to drain from the sinks out to water, but I believe most rinker do not have this and drain out. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    boy I was you just a few months ago...I bought a 2005. These guys are spot on with how my boat is set up. just tinker, fiddle and explore is the best advise as there are no "how to books" Rinker, I have their manual and it's useless. That being said, previous owner held on to all the manuals for everything installed to that was a help. My sinks all discharge through thru hulls. Some as mentioned go into the black water/toilet tank I'm told.  You can follow my posts as I'm sure a lot of the questions you have or will have, I have already put out there and you might might some of that helpful as we bought ours right around the first of the year.  Mine did not have a lot of problems but sure needed some TLC and everyone here was great in providing the info. Also, find a user manual and a service manual and that will give you a great overview of how things work and where they are at but I'm still saying, darn, did not know this did that!

Good luck!
  • Options
    ps- my first experience on a boat of this, say, magnitude, was on the survey ride when I bought it so I'm as green as they get.
  • Options
    LobodemarLobodemar Member Posts: 124 ✭✭
    Congrats for your new boat I have the same model year.  You will love it.  On my boat the toilet runs on fresh water and all the sinks drian directely outside
  • Options
    mine is an 05 and I have a thru hull where the water picks up. I do not, from other posts, use any salt water for the can but will turn off the thru hull and use the shower head to supply the water.
  • Options
    luckydogluckydog Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    Rasbury, why no salt water for the can? Is there something I need to know
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 2013 EC 310 and my 2014 EC 360 both had tolets that used water from the fresh water holding tank to flush and all 3 of my sinks drained overboard. MT
  • Options
    lucky- the salt water has a lot more "life" in it than fresh that if left sitting in your holding tank might start to grow all sorts of stuff.....