Options

Changing An Water Pump Impeller in the Water

picturethispicturethis Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
What do you guys use to plug the water intake hose on the raw water pump when removing it from the housing??
 I have a 7.4 with a bravo 3

thanks
I am a new boater with my first boat,  thats why some of my questions seem dumb

Comments

• Options
    the boat is a 2000
  • Options
    rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭
    I was worried about the same thing when going to change my water pump in the water.  First off, the water doesn't run in nearly as fast as you think.  Secondly, all you have to do is wrap a bungy cord, or rope or something around the hose, and just hold it up above the water line.  No need to plug it at all. 

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

• Options
    pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    I agree with rinker 312. If you want, you can squeeze close the hose with the proper hose squeezer pliers. You'll be fine. 

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Or just stuff a rag into the end of the hose.  It might drip a little, but not enough to bother you.  (Don't leave the boat unattended until you secure the hose.)  

Rinker312 is right -- the water doesn't come in very fast.  The hose diameter is big, but the water is coming from a much smaller feed hose in the outdrive (maybe 1") and the pressure is low.  
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    I had to do mine in the water a few years ago and I just put a hose valve (closed)on my muffs, jumped in the water and slid them on the outdrive. I also attached a rope to the muffs in case they slid off. I also had a small hand soap dispenser that fit inside the water line hose and put that in with hose clamps just in case. 
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    DanD2 said:
    I had to do mine in the water a few years ago and I just put a hose valve (closed)on my muffs, jumped in the water and slid them on the outdrive. I also attached a rope to the muffs in case they slid off. I also had a small hand soap dispenser that fit inside the water line hose and put that in with hose clamps just in case. 

Another good idea!

• Options
    edited October 2014
    thanks for the info guys,  
    Post edited by picturethis on
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    Needle nose visegrips. Harbor Frieght has a nice selection to choose from.  Put a rag around your intake hose and just clamp the hose. Done!  
  • Options

• Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    I guess I just got lucky, I raised the intake hose end as far as it would go. No water got in until it was time to attach the hose to the pump. But then I only got a few quarts of water, not enough for the bilge pump to suck up
  • Options
    seguirseguir Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    Great question...I was wondering the same, and delaying changing my impeller till haul out.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    As said guys, just raise the hose above water line.  I've changed mine a couple times in the water and no issues (typically I'd change it on my lift, but I've done a few times while out in the bay).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express