Options

Oil change question

Since I have owned my boat, I have been changing the oil by sucking the oil out of the dip stick tube.  But I understand that the two lines that are clipped to the transom between the engines can also be used.  I have been avoiding touching them because they are rubber and didn't want to cause any leaks or anything.  But was wondering how others do the change, using those rubber lines, or using the dipstick tube?  I am betting that you can get a more complete oil change by using the rubber lines, as I only get about 4 quarts of oil out per change, and I believe my engines should hold at least 5.  Just wondering what others do.  Thanks.

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use those lines and they work well. What engines do you have?  The 350 MAG MPI only holds 4.5 qts. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    I think we get a better oil change with the rubber hoses as far as removing all the oil and some sludge.
  • Options
    halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    I  use the drain hose. It takes a while but it is a clean procedure.Make sure the oil is warmed up or its really slow.
  • Options
    seguirseguir Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    I change my oil twice per season.  Once in the water by sucking the oil out of the dip stick tube ( this is mid season) then at haul out I use the line....it works great but slow, and same thing I can only get around 4 quarts or less out sucking the oil out of the dip stick.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since we are on the subject of oil changes, what does everyone do with the upside down oil filter to prevent oil from going everywhere? On my 232, the filter was on the bottom of the engine, which was still a mess. On my current boat with the 6.2L, it is on top. I have heard of driving a screwdriver thru the top of it to make a vent hole to help it drain. Any ideas or suggestions would be great!!!
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Yup: punch a hole thru the top and most all the oil will drain to the pan. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Agreed with punching a hole on top less of a mess
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

X

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    I use the oil lines you mentioned that attach to the oil pan drain plug.  They are braided lines and should be durable.  What engines do you have?  The 350 MAG MPI only hold 4.5 qts with a filter.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I use those lines, they are braided and durable.  What engines do you have?  The 350 MAG MPI only holds 4.5 qts with a filter.

PC BYC, Holland, MI