How to remove pilot light?

shaffinshaffin Member Posts: 9
Hello,

I have a Rinker Captiva 262 and the pilot lamp on top of the arch is not clearing my garage door :-(

Anyone have an idea how to remove it?

Comments

• Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    There is probably a screw on the top for acess to replacing the bulb. 
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Notch out the garage door.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • shaffinshaffin Member Posts: 9
    There is probably a screw on the top for acess to replacing the bulb. 
    Yes, the plastic bulb enclosure has been removed if you notice a string wire dangling to the side. I am thinking of taking a plumbing wrench to try and unscrew it but not sure if it is permanently attached in which case I would have to cut it off and rig it by making a screw-in type of design? 
  • Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    How about an access panel on the underside of the arch? Or above the helm?
  • terrypageterrypage Member Posts: 165 ✭✭
    Let the tyres down
    How about an access panel on the underside of the arch? Or above the helm?
    I did open the access panel, and it seems like the arch extends all the way with what looks like a small round mini pole. I was hoping to see some kind of fastener from the inside holding on but nope.

terrypage said:
    Let the tyres down
    I did (in fact completely) and still stands proud by about 3"
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're talking about removing it temporarily for winter storage?  

Remove the access panel on the underside of the arch.  There's probably a pipe fitting or three screws. But -- make sure you re-seal the light fixture to keep water out of your radar arch.  If you seal it with butyl tape instead of adhesive, it will be easy to remove next time.
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worst case, email Randy Rinker. He should be able to tell you how to remove it.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think LaRea is correct about the possibility of a pipe-type fitting but on some the fitting is a round metal base on the top exterior of the arch with 3 metal screws in it, so you would have to unscrew them from the top. be caretfu al the screws should be ss and the top is aluminum. It would be easy to strip the threads if removing/installing them with a drill. I'd use a screw driver. Also, as CG said re-caulk it next spring. MT
    LaRea said:
    You're talking about removing it temporarily for winter storage?  

Remove the access panel on the underside of the arch.  There's probably a pipe fitting or three screws. But -- make sure you re-seal the light fixture to keep water out of your radar arch.  If you seal it with butyl tape instead of adhesive, it will be easy to remove next time.
    Thanks for the info LaRea, I will try that in the coming days and see if turning the aluminium cap with a pipe wrench works.

Michael T said:
    I think LaRea is correct about the possibility of a pipe-type fitting but on some the fitting is a round metal base on the top exterior of the arch with 3 metal screws in it, so you would have to unscrew them from the top. be caretfu al the screws should be ss and the top is aluminum. It would be easy to strip the threads if removing/installing them with a drill. I'd use a screw driver. Also, as CG said re-caulk it next spring. MT
    Thanks Michael, great advice will try LaRea's advice and see how things go and post back.