Options

Blue Plastic Drain Plugs

picturethispicturethis Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
Do these need to be replaced when they start turning colors on the threads?   I took all 5 of these plugs out today and 2 had the threads turning white, Id imagine from heat

anybody break one off trying to spin it off?

I am a new boater with my first boat,  thats why some of my questions seem dumb

Comments

• Options
    rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭
    I hear people say they break them all the time. I don't think you have to replace them if they are not broken. But you should probably have a few spares on hand. The way I winterize I do not remove them so I have not had any issues with them yet. 

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

• Options
    BoatAwayBoatAway Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    Do these need to be replaced when they start turning colors on the threads?   I took all 5 of these plugs out today and 2 had the threads turning white, Id imagine from heat

anybody break one off trying to spin it off?

yes, they break once in a while. And that usually means having to extract the threaded portion out of the hole since the winged part is in your hand. What's worse is that they have a hole through the threaded part so it no longer provides a seal even if it's in there.

They're cheap so replacing when you see wear or having extras on hand for when they break is a good idea.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would replace them every five or so years. I had one of them break off. It had a small crack in it that I didn't know about and the water pressure blew it apart. I had to use a screw with teflon tape wrapped around the threads to get back to the dock. I used an easy out to get it out of the exhaust manifold.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    edited October 2014
    On my houseboat I have twin 3.0 Mercruisers with single point drain the blue hoses in the picture really made it nice winterizing you would think they would have this system for larger engines I still ran wire up the hose to check for clogs but the pink ran out and I snapped them back in place filled with pink stuff and closed the hatches.

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    picturethispicturethis Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    I like that winterizing system,    wonder why merc didnt start this 10 years ago on all their i/o
    I am a new boater with my first boat,  thats why some of my questions seem dumb
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    My engines are 2008 so it's nothing new

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Yes, definitely change the blue plugs when you have wear on them.  I've had to drill one out and what a pain.  I replace and have some on hand at all times.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express