Fresh water use during the Winter

Is there any type of antifreeze, that is non-toxic, that can be used in the fresh water supply that will allow you to use your fresh water tank to shower in a pretty mild Tennessee Winter? Or is it always best to drain all water and winterize the water system????

Comments

• NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    TD,
    the pink stuff at Walmart is like $3.50 a gallon.  If you only use it when there is a cold snap coming you should be able to drain it when you want to use the water system and put fresh back in.  In your water system keep the empty bottles and fill them back up from one of the faucets to reuse the same few gallons all winter.   You will have to flush out pink residual before you shower but that should be no big deal either.  Just don't drink it!
  • NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    TD,
    Our first hard freeze is Friday night.  I am not worried about the boat since it is under cover and in the water. Therefore it is preserving the small amount of warmth left in the water.  
  • tdoggie1tdoggie1 Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for all the advice to this rookie cruiser boater....much appreciated!!!!
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    You could also consider having a small (3 gallon or so) air compressor and just blow out the lines when a cold snap is coming.  I know, there is a small chance that leftover water could freeze.  It would only take about 5 min to do and not cost anything extra.  I think it is what I'd do if I were living aboard.  I'm assuming you'd have heat going inside your boat, so it would just be lines in engine room and such that would be main concern.  Water heater would fine cause it'd stay warm.  Shower drains are probably close enough to cabin or hull that it'd stay warm enough as well.  Of course the concern for me would be getting water into boat, cause my marina shuts off all water for the winter.  You'd have to fill that water tank somewhere at some point.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭

When I lived on my Carver the following was most helpful

An ice bubbler to keep ice off the hull and to keep the hull above freezing (not much but it helped)

a parabolic heater (set on low about 400 watts) pointed at the water tank, on a timer for about 2-3 hours a day) kept the water above freezing and radiated the warmth to the black tank.

get the following at the hardware store

1 roll of foil backed insulation (shiny bubble wrap)

2 sheets of pink foam board

1 roll of duct tape

cut and tape the foil back insulation to anywhere you get or think you will get cold.

line the engine compartment with the foam board, make a box around the engine and water tank with room for the parabolic heater. The engine, if warm will radiate heat into the cabin.

line the floor of the boat with the foam board as well. it wont do much for heat loss but will do wonders to prevent cold gain.  AHH warm ankles

• CrewLoungeCrewLounge Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Where in Tennessee?  I am on Norris Lake. 
  • tdoggie1tdoggie1 Member Posts: 16
    edited November 2014
    crewlounge, i'am at Percy Priest lake in Nashville. I hear Norris lake is really a great lake!!!