Options

Alternatives to Shrink Wrap

Do any of you northern guys that keep your boats outside use anything other then shrink wrap on your boat in the winter weather??     
Sharkskin makes a nice cover but its pricey
I am a new boater with my first boat,  thats why some of my questions seem dumb

Comments

• Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    I used a navigloo system. See navigloo.com work  really good
  • Options
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Here is one made of stamoid light material (this is Patrick's-another 400 member here, but him & I ordered together from same person, so mine is identical except the pic would be on a lift)

Here is a pic of my prior boat (310)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    How well does that hold up with snow and ice? I'm considering something for next winter as I want to keep my boat at our farm
  • Options
    If the angle  and height of the structure is high enough no problem snow will slide off last snow fall last winter (see picture) no snow on the boat.
  • Options
    Holds up great!  The Fischer canvas will definitely hold up to the weather as long as you build a structure underneath.  On my 310, it went thru a couple back-to-back storms a few years ago that was a total of 3-4 feet of snow.  I know you deal with that all the time, but when I got to the boat a few days later, there was no snow on the cover at all.  My current cover works pretty well, but I do get a little snow/rain that holds in one little spot. It seemed better last year and I'm hoping it is good this year.  The 400 has a lot more span over the bow that has to have a really good structure.

• Options
    I don't even see the boat wow it is good lol
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I've seen this question somewhere else....... :)

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've used the same tarp for the last four seasons. I use a pool pillow up front to keep the tarp from accumulating water. I also leave my canvas up and haven't had any issues with snow.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    picturethispicturethis Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    where did you find a tarp that size?   I kinda like that idea
    I am a new boater with my first boat,  thats why some of my questions seem dumb
  • Options
    Harbor Freight, I forget what size it is but it is huge.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    It's not my trailer, wish it was! I use the company twice a season (drop it in and pull it out). They set her on the blocks for me, the trailer has hydraulic bunks on it so they can position the boat on the blocks.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    I do the same with my 342
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    After seeing three boats burn up this fall from shrink wrapping I will never ever do it. I will stick with my inside storage. 
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Inside storage is best. Shrink wrap second best. In my area those tarps will never hold up to a bad winter..... Just saying.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Raybo, what I use will hold up to your weather.  For the heavy snow, you've gotta have something that fits snug and tight.  The tarps just don't do that very well.  My marina does not allow tarps.

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Dream dont you have a winter canvas cover??? I mistakenly left that type of cover off my list.... Yes that is better than shrink wrap however you need to clean and store it after use correct? I live in a condo complex and do not have much storage so that is out for me....lol
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have stored all of my boats indoors, Including my 2013 E 10 and my 2014 EC 360. There are about 200 boats at my marina that are shrinked wrapped and at least 60 big cruisers that are tarped. Ridge poles are run the length of the cruisers with support poles to the decks. Jugs of water are suspended from the eyelets of each tarp. We get huge amounts of snow (many feet) and consistent -20 degree Celcius temperatures for January and Febuary. The key, as DI said, is to have the tarps kept tight to avoid snow, water and ice from accumulating in low spots. I have never heard of a shring wrap damage or fire but the women who do it are very skilled and very careful. I have never seen a tarp fail but I have seen some minor damage from tarping which is caused, imo, by chafing of the gel coat from the tarps being ruffled by wind action and some minor scratches to the decks of boats from support poles - even if they have carpeted "feet". My choice is to have my cruiser stored indoors as it is almost the same price as shrink wrap and tarping without the scratches and nicks to the gelcoat. As well, I can get to it if I want to measure something or just have a look at it mid-winter. MT
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree indoor storage is the best - keeps the elements off the boat.  Humidity is no longer an issue.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RY, not saying you NEED to store indoors, but I'm saying it is better if you have the choice.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Tarps done right will work fine. I tarped my old boat for 5 years with 2 heavy duty tarps and they have survived many Maine Nor'easters. The only reason I'm not using them on the Rinker is because they are too small. I've shrunk wrapped for this year but will return to tarps next year.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    nhsdnhsd Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    Much smaller boat than you guys are discussing, but I had mine shrink wrapped the first year I had it. A couple snows later the shrink wrap split open and out came the tarps. Since then, I build a small support structure (basically a couple of 2x4s as posts and a fairly heavy line tightly strung from bow to stern over the posts), put on my trailer cover (which will barely fit over this structure), then tarp over that. I have not had any problems since. Tarps (the green ones) tend to last 2 to 3 years before they weather and start to split.

Dave

2002 Captiva 212, 5.0 220 hp, Alpha 1, 1.62 gears

Moon Township, PA - boating in the Ohio River