Options

air conditioner size

Hello all,

been lurking on here for awhile and decided to join. I am a new owner of a new to me 99 270 fv. it is equipped with a gen but no air or heat. what size hvac do I need?  when I install it do I have to put another sea valve in or can I wye of off the sea water supply line?  

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    99270fv99270fv Member Posts: 94 ✭✭
    thanks for the reply I was waiting on confirmation on the size before ordering
  • Options
    pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭

7000 is correct. Which unit are you looking at?

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

• Options

http://www.marinaire.com/Marine-air-conditioner-6000-btu-110V-p/msba6k2.htm

this is the one that is at my home waiting to be installed in the spring.

• Options
    Yup, Goes without saying!!!!!!!! Seen that unit in action, that's why I got it. Super quiet!

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

X

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RY: Maybe you should make a trip to Michigan so you can be informed! :)  Or just take our word for it and we'll keep the good stuff to ourselves!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    That looks like a nice a/c unit with some nice features. Was it noticably quieter Pep?

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I am looking at the marine airr by dometic, but if you guys say that the marinair is good then I might go with that one. about $700 cheaper! if any of you have a 270 could you take some pics of where the thermostat and air vents/grills are located? also I cant get it through my thick head why I need another sea valve. why cant I use the sea water supply line for the head and the ac?
  • Options

Very quiet, Toshiba compressor on these units. Much more advanced then the Dometic units!

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    I'd say you could try 'Y'ing off the toilet seacock.  Worse case, it would either make noise or cause trouble with the head.  Or cause water flow errors in the AC.  If you flush while the AC is running, there might not be enough flow and cause air in the lines.  You obviously need to put the AC pump in line after the 'Y'.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I'm not sure on the 7000btu size, but I know my inlet and strainer are bigger hose dia than the toilet. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    good comments and advice here, keep it coming I am trying to make an educated decision.
  • Options
    rsteaguersteague Member Posts: 10
    99270fv  So how did the installation go, you happy with the unit?  We are in the process of purchasing a 2000 270 that needs air.  It has the full enclosure for the cockpit and I was wondering if the 6000 BTU was big enough for that?   Also, could you send pics of your installation with any suggestions for this newbie?  Thanks.
    2005 Rinker 360 "Second Time Around"
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    I have the MarinAire 6k BTU unit installed in my 280EC. Works great 2 seasons in. We replaced the OEM AC - that was a pain in some ways: the venting was 1" smaller on the MarinAire, inlet and discharge locations for cooling water was moved as well. I ended up pulling new hoses - I don't like having splices where I don't need to. Also, the MarinAire electronics used a standard Cat5e, whereas the old Dometic unit used a crossover CAT5e: I reterminated the controller end and it was good to go without pulling a new line (that would have been a nightmare).

The MarinAire unit is so quiet it's hard to tell it's running with the genny. We've run it about 30 hours now - it's ice cold (40° at the outlet). The 280EC (and the 260 I'm sure) have one vent that blows under the steps into the cabin. I want to add a secondary vent - the cooling is most needed against the firewall in the mid berth. I know eventually it'll be felt there - but with a fan and a vent we could better balance the temperatures. 
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    it seems odd to me = it would have generator but know ac .
    in the aft bed is their a hvac grill...also /not sure on your year..under the aft mattress 
    there is a small compartment..has the shower sump..bilge pump and where the sea strainer for ac and pump is located
    sorry to ask but you have looked the boat all over
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    ok====i seee=====2014
    but he never posted again