8 year old risers and manifolds

Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
New risers and manifolds just installed on starboard engine.  Never had a temperature issue yet check out these pictures. Amazing how efficient freshwater cooling is on VP's. 

Comments

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Impressive they cooled well seeing all the corrosion!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    Very impessive.  Did the port two years ago due to a manifold crack.  So I should be good to go for 6 to 7 more years.
  • luckydogluckydog Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    Did you changed them your self? We just bought our 2003 312 I think the risers and manifolds are 5 to 6 years old and there raw water cooled (salt water). We plan on changing them this winter our selfs, when we were looking at boats thats all people were saying risers and manifolds risers and manifolds so much so that its has me concerned of there ages.
  • halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    My 2003 350 mag has original risers and manifolds and is salt water cooled. I trailer mine and has 150 hours fresh water and 190 hours salt running. Engine works mint. What symptoms can I expect that they are failing? Don't want to spend $$$$ just because they are 10 years old.
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,556 mod
    Yes, get the correct gaskets for sure, some gaskets cover certain holes in which are needed, but others may not be needed.  Wrong ones will get you in trouble.  I highly recommend just taking them off where the riser meets the manifold every couple years.  Just make sure you have the gasket in hand and maybe a couple extra bolts.  I was surprised on my 310 at how clean they were at 10 years old running in brackish water.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
  • tkrfxrtkrfxr Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    My 10 year old risers and manifolds were replaced this summer....they looked better than these, but had been removed, cleaned and re-installed in 2009.

These are maintenance items with limited life expectancy...either they go, or the engines go...take your pick.

If you get water intrusion from a crack or a worn gasket, into the cylinders, the repair bills can get expensive real quick.  The first symptom of blocked cooling jackets is a hot riser or manifold... this can be checked with an infrared thermometer....or your hand. 

Your new cooling jackets should give you peace of mind for years to come...

"All things are ready if our minds be so"
    -W.Shakespeare/Henry V Rinker 2005 342FV T5.7OSXi-DF/OceanX(DPS-B)
  • Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    Yes first sign is a rising above normal operating temp.  Or a hydrolic'd engine which is bad.  Even if they look good and clean from rust streaking at the joints they could be leaking inside the jackets.  I had my mechanical do the job so I'd have some warrenty for 90 days via leaks.  The labor cost is worth the agonizing job of pulling the bolts without breaking them and the elbow grease of chiseling the gaskets off.  Thrust me, that's a BS job! Yes you and anyone could do the job however most will cuss during the entire process.