Options

Starter Removal

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well, have to do it.......

5.7 350 with the starter on the bottom of the motor, any tricks to share? Looks like it might be just as easy to pull the riser and all that stuff just right out of the way.......how is it done?? Pulling the motor is not an option!

Comments

• Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Depending on room removing riser and manifold will make it easier. Other wise deep well 9/16 sockets 2-3 inch extension ratchet remove wires tie up starter so it doesn't fall when boats are removed. Feel around for bolts one is real tight to bell housing and good luck
  • Options
    I'm lucky I'm not a big guy...I can see one of the bolts on the left side and that is it! I will make sure I have the deep socket and go for it.........yuk, and I thought the water pump was bad....
  • Options
    If you bend easy it won't be bad worst part is getting up after your done good luck
  • Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    what model boat are you working on? If your working on a 265 1990s vintage you are in for PAIN, LOTS OF PAIN. Lay a carpet over the engine so you don't get poked by all the sharp parts , remove the water tank if you have too. Basically take apart the side of the boat that the starter is on. Its about as much fun as putting your foot in a meat grinder, only more blood.
  • Options
    its not that bad....2005 270.....
  • Options

well,....it is done.

And I made it much worse a project in my mind than it was. It took me I don't know how to get the wire that comes down from the slave cylinder off. Then, the bolts I thought would drop it were the flywheel cover bolts...and then I found, on the absolute bottom of the motor, 2 1/2" bolts. CRAP. And then I put a wrench on one, less than two mins later, was laying on the ground. There are what looks three different styles of starters in the book....this was not that bad!

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ras, I think you are getting pretty close to your Mercury technician certification. Don't forget us when you hit the big time. ;-) MT
  • Options
    Good job Ras see wasn't that bad 
  • Options
    120 bucks for the rebuild cost, should have done by tomorrow!
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now, that's a good outcome!

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    well, it's not back in yet....I can only hope.
  • Options
    that company you found! Older fellow in a shop falling down but I  bet he knows what he is doing! By the way, What is the deal with the 90 amp fuse that is on the positive post, did not pay much attention when I was taking apart. Since I have a problem the starter, likely this fuse is bad? How to check it?
  • Options
    Ras this goes with out saying but make sure the bolts start straight as they will cross thread easier than you think
  • Options
    Yan- I really have not looked at it other than the manual which really has no info- at the time of removing the starter, it was just in my way if you know what I mean. Now I'm looking at putting everything back together and from what I see in the manual it would not have a conventional fuse....it's a "block" that goes over the post, it states the back side of it is an isolater...not much more and JC, got ya, the water pump was even worse trying to line up 10mm bolts, that was a real pain and was worried about the same there. I think the starter should be a little easier, famous last words I know...
  • Options
    Have not spoken with him yet today...he did quote the repair but I don't think he had opened it up. The selonoid was bad and he said something about a brush kit for the motor....the fix was 75 bucks, total rebuild 125 so for 50 bucks, went with that which I assume is new bearings and not sure what else. The bottom of it had a lot of corrosion so I am concerned it got wet...when I talk with him today I hope to get more idea of why it failed.  The batteries when I bought to boat were old and not the right CCA as I later learned and when I replaced them duplicated that error. I am thinking with as little as the boat was used, constant starting on low voltage messed it up...will let you know what I find out. I have a new starter battery that is 950 CCA so I should have plenty of power going forward.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RY, with an EFI/MPI engine - not long. Good advice Steve, an ounce of prevention prevents a lonnnnnng day on the water. MT
  • Options
    that's why I have sea tow and a genny! Plus, my boating season is just starting....
  • Options
    well, I would say 100% success, went back in with no trouble, fired it right up, but back to the water pump thread with a problem...
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    :D:D:D

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"