Options

Fresh Water Leak

Folks I am getting water into the aft cabin just at the steps down below at the deck on the carpet. Have checked galley cupboard and the areas above all of which are dry including the sink in the galley. Thinking it might be making its way in through the windshield and running down or off the for deck down through the rubbing strip and seeping in through there. Need to get it resolved as I don't want to go through the winter with damp on the boat. Any ideas?

Answers

• Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Model and year of boat?
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I had an issue like that in my 342.  Turned out the shower sump is in the mid-berth and was leaking.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    SkipperSkipper Member Posts: 10
    folks the boat is a 2002 Fiesta Vee 270. I've removed the sump cover at the aft berth and there was a bit of fresh water lying in the bilge which has now gone, but where the carpeted area of the deck of the aft berth meets the upright just beside the cupboard door, is still holding water. It looks like a small carpeted step with no means of accessing it. In addition we've never used the shower Stodge so not sure how this might be leaking but will check, thanks. Still think it could be the rub rail allowing water to run down the inside and obviously where it comes into contact with the upright, I'm thinking this is where it's gathering?
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spray the boat down from the outside, and have someone inside check for leaks from the windshield/canvas.  It's easy to replace the windshield seal strips with weather strips from home depot.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Thanks Mark but the difficulty is in getting my head round to see where the water is getting in...
  • Options
    Yes, that's why I suggested getting someone else inside the boat to observe while you spray, or vice-versa.  If it's the windshield or canvas, you will pick up the problem in less than 30 seconds. Just pull a innocent bystander at the marina, and offer him or her a beer. :)

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    yea plenty of beer on board, it's just that there isn't anywhere that I can get my head into behind the panelling etc even with someone else standing outside hosing..
  • Options
    OK, I get you.

Maybe you can spray one area at a time (one post at a time) and go and check the bilge to see when the water comes in. Give at least 15 minutes between areas to ensure any seepage has a chance to run down to the bilge.  Drink beer in between.  This should at least isolate the general area where it is coming in from, then you can go from there.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

X

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    edited November 2014

X

• Options
    edited November 2014

X

• Options
    I wonder if you did drill a small hole, and had a small enough spout whether you couldn't put a squirt of silicon inside the rub rail end as well to seal the fastener through the bow.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    ... and MT, yes that's a great idea. I would do that before I pulled the rail.

"Boat + Water = Fun"