Options

Dry Packs

Wondering if others use the dry packs or buckets when the put the boat away for the winter. I placed 1 bucket in the cabin along with 3 smaller hanging ones and the hanging style are half full of water in just 3 weeks. Should i use just the buckets to prevent freeze aand break issues and how many are typically used for a cabin the size of a 270.

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always use the buckets. My boat is in indoor storage, and I can't believe how much water had accumulated in them over the winter. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

x

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    golfdoggolfdog Member Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
    I use the hanging bags every winter. They are well worth the money. I've never had a problem with them freezing and breaking. 
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I go to the dollar store and buy about 5 or 6 and put them all over the boat. Works great and never a problem......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    terrypageterrypage Member Posts: 165 ✭✭
     Don't you guys use de-humidifiers. I know you have extremes in cold but surely it would solve the problem.  It certainly works in the UK.  Or perhaps I'm missing the point.
  • Options
    terrypageterrypage Member Posts: 165 ✭✭
    Now I understand.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    I use the bags and buckets.  I change them out in mid winter with new.  Never had any issues.  I like the big gallon size bucket for the cockpit/upper area.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    sbodesbode Member Posts: 10
    Thank you all for the responses. I used 3 gallon size buckets this year and it worked perfect.
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    I have an electric dehumidifier from Wal-Mart that works phenomenally well as long as I empty the tray periodically.  My plan is to make a small hole in the front of the catch tray so I can leave the unit in the galley sink and let it automatically drain so it can run continuously.  Not done yet.  I have had the unit several years.  My bucket list seems to go for long periods where not action is taken.   But the boat is in Florida so we are good to go with this solution,.
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used buckets, a dehumidifier only works at 70 degrees and above. Too cold here for them to help.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use two of the big buckets in the cabin over the winter, one forward and one aft. During the summer months I'm using this smaller scented one pictured. I used to use the bags during the summer season but I found that they fill up quick and have the potential to leak.

2008 330EC