Options

Draining Drive Oil for Winter Storage

picturethispicturethis Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
this season I was losing a bit of out drive fluid (about a 1/4 quart in all ) from my 2000 bravo 3 ,  when I removed the props I saw that it was dirty wet around the bearing carrier seal (inside prop)    I drained out a little fluid from the bottom plug and it was still green.   To be safe should I drain the fluid for the winter and leave it dry?  Or leave it in there?
 the boat will be outside in the michigan cold so freezing will be an issue

Only time I saw the oil leak is when
I noticed 2 drops of oil coming from the end prop when the out drive is coming down from the all the way up position 

I am a new boater with my first boat,  thats why some of my questions seem dumb

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Do not leave the outdrive without oil, a sure way to invite corrosion issues. 

2.  It is best to deal with that oil seal leak before it gets worse and/or lets water in. It only gets more expensive if you wait.  Call these guys, they are near Coldwater:  www.americandriveservice.com

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    picturethispicturethis Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    My main concern is ...  if oil was leaking out is there water inside the case?  
    I was going to have it the outdrive gone though in the spring,  is it better I do it now?
    I am a new boater with my first boat,  thats why some of my questions seem dumb
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Definitely better to have the service done now.  It is actually something that can be done over the winter without being put on the waiting list in the spring.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes fix it now.  That is the norm.  You can winterize your boat, and pull the drive off, fix it on the side.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

x

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Agreed, I have my outdrive service performed in the Winter.  Most shops are happy to knock a few bucks off for business when it's slow.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX