Options

Gen or no gen

JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
i have a chance to buy a gen Koehler 5k dirt cheap. I do not have one now or really any need for one , but if I did add it would it increase the value enough to put it in and justify boat is all set up for one. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Well it will definitely add value.  But it will also add weight and could affect your fuel usage.  We overnight on the hook a lot.  Before we had a gen we managed just fine with a butane stove and a propane grill.  But since getting the boat with a gen we can have hot showers in the morning, use the microwave and charge the batteries.  So depending on the way you use your boat, you might think about picking up the gen, but waiting to install it until you're ready to sell.  

Just my $0.02

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    Well, I never thought that I needed a gen either (that was 15 years ago).  After getting a boat with one 8 years ago, I'd never go without. It's nice to know you have that power if needed.  If everything is already there and it's an easy install you can do yourself, I say definitely go for it.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed, go for it. Run it first.MT
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Does the boat have an air conditioner?  With a genny, you can run AC (or heat) at anchor.  Yes, it will add value to the boat!  It's one of the few mods that has any hope of paying for itself at resale. 
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    A generator makes the boat so much more flexible and useful.
  • Options
    racingricka87racingricka87 Member Posts: 28
    If you decide not to get it I am sure passing the info of the steal I mean deal to a rinker forum member would be apreciated:-)
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I think the biggest  benny of having a genny (lol) is that you dont have to worry about killing your batteries. Start the genny and they are charged..... 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where do you slip, does it have accessible power? Where do you go, accessible power?  In Lake O, just about everywhere I can possible go has power, so there's no point really in me having a genny. All it would do is take up space and consume more gas (due to weight), plus make it more difficult to get on plane.  So I say it does depend on your circumstances.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    I use, a lot, my portable Honda e2000, I love having a genny onboard. Wish it  was built in, but glad to have one either way. Put it in, you won't regret it!

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

• Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Well bought the genny before I even had a chance to do anything had my neighbor make me an offer I couldn't refuse. Let's just say my dock and two tanks of full are covered and the admiral gets taken to dinner. Thanks for all the input. I do have a line on another one but I have yet to see it.