Options

what weight oil

so what weight oil is everyone running in there motors? I have a 4.3 and was wondering if anyone sees a problem with a 10-30 or 5-20 synthetic oil?

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use Merc 25W-40 semi-synthetic in my boat. If you do a search, there are a few good threads on the oil subject.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mercury semi synthetic is the recommended grade. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    I have switched over to Shell Rotella T6 synthetic 5w40 diesel engine oil. The engine has never run quieter. Mark
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    west marine is selling gallon jugs of their branded 25w40 synthetic blend for $25.  I just picked up 5 gallons and changed my oil yesterday.  My boat is out of the water now and in 35 degree weather it was a real chore sucking that oil out of the dipstick.  It took about an hour an engine.  Worth it to get the fresh oil in there for the winter layup.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

X

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    I sucked the oil when it was cold as they shut the water off at the marina so I couldn't run it on muffs.  The extractor works well when the engine is warm not so much when cold.  I then put new oil in, filters and turned the motor over a few times.  I assume I got most the contaminants in the crank case as I sucked almost 9qts of oil from each engine.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

X

Post edited by Michael T on