lowrance or hummingbird or?

looking to get a new fish finder in the $400 price range. I have the hummingbird 597ci hd or the lowarance elite 5 in my eyes. Which one do you think will be netter ?!! My other boat has a older hummingbird and it doesnt seem so user friendly I am looking for something simple to use, color screen, gps, shows speed voltage etc

Comments

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

X

Post edited by Michael T on
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I fish A LOT on my boat, including tournaments. This is what I suggest. If you really want to limit it to that amount then buy a used Lowrance HDS8 Generation 1. One just sold on another site for $350. 

If you can spare a few more $$, apparently Cabelas in the US is going to be selling the HDS8 Gen 2 for only $899. That is a steal.

Do not get the Elite 5 or 597ci - they are really weak units.  If you insist on getting a new unit, rather get the Elite 7, it is not just a bigger screen, but a way, way better sonar.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• racingricka87racingricka87 Member Posts: 28
    If i lived closer to water and used this boat more often id go for a larger unit. i just seen bass pro on black friday has the hummingbird for 399 and i have $200 in reward points lol that was my thought process. 
    I will check aound for used though

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A used HDS8 is going to be WAY better than a new Elite 5. Trust me - I've had the Elite 5, not a bad unit, but it doesn't compare.  Go on ebay, you will find tonnes of Gen 1's for sale, and you will get a good price, especially now that the HDS8 Gen 2 is for sale.  You can pick it up for less than the hummingbird, and still have $200 of reward points for your fishing gear!

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"