Options

Rear view camera & monitor

Hi Guys,  I had a mad idea to have a view to stern whilst on the move.  River Hamble is very busy and I constantly have to know what's going on behind me with so many sailors cris crossing.  I also thought it would help when reversing into my mooring.  I had a space under my GPS going begging just right for the monitor.  The camera (which is water proof) fits nicely on the stainless bar on the Port side and easy to wire near in the engin bay.  I'm delighted with the result the colour monitor is clear and has a 120 degree view.  The complete kit was just £41 on eBay.  Wiring was a bit of a nightmare as the camera and monitor need separate feeds, but I got over it.  I just thought I would share with the club.  Terry

Comments

• Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the pictures Terry.  I am planning on doing the same thing for next year.  I found some bluetooth cameras that I can send to either my iphone or ipad.  I use the ipad as a secondary nav gps, so with the screen size, it will probably end up being used most.  Another camera is going on the wife's suv to help me align the trailer hitch when I need to use it.  That camera will be a license plate mount with the signal going to my iphone.  My only comment about your install would be wether or not you could have placed the camera to catch your own stern in the frame to use as reference when backing into the slip.  That is my biggest desire to install this on my 290.  I have 34' to spin 270 degrees on a boat measuring almost 32'.  Not a lot of room for error.  
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    terrypageterrypage Member Posts: 165 ✭✭
    Hi I can adjust the angle of view easily when reversing if necessary.  My main concern for the install was the proximity of other vessels behind me due to a recent occurrence, however I enjoy adding toys. I think your applications are for more serious reasons, security in this instance is not my main priority.  Good luck with the fixing.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool. About backing in, well I think nothing is better than your eyes. Not sure if you will have proper depth perspective with the camera. That makes me think they should make radar sensors for the back of boats just like on cars. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    Funny my comment didn't hold above.  In the shot above is a play off your great idea.  However I am viewing the engines and bilge at all times.  While cruising I generally run a split screen.  Using a Garmin infrared camera mounted on Genset front case.  Paid for itself twice.  One, blew an exhaust bellow at 4000rmp and a year later, blew an oil line at 4000rpm.  Both caught before alarms.  Amazing I had up to 10 gallons of water in seconds via the bellow "y pipe" hose clamps busted.  The remote oil line factory crimping blew apart.  5 quarts of oil blew everywhere in seconds. What a mess!!! Both times shut down before alarms and saved engine!  

• Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    LG....That's more my style than one at the stern. Putting one in my engine compartment is on my list for this coming spring.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    TNT232TNT232 Member Posts: 4
    Hi Terry
    Thank you for showing me the camera yesterday its very impressive and a good addition to any vessel, it will be something I will look into for mine as I cant see my extended platform.
    See you soon
    Terry
  • Options
    @RinkerYan,  yes saw both happen when they happened.  When the exhaust ypipe blew water was seen spraying and lots of it.  When the oil line blew everything turn shinny black in an instant. Water, oil and gas is what I look for as those are very visible when big trouble happens.  Everything else is just stuff.
  • Options
    For the back up camera Terry has is really great to ensure no swimmers or kyaks are nearby while in reverse, like at anchoring.  Seen that issue more than I can count.
  • Options
    terrypageterrypage Member Posts: 165 ✭✭
    I nearly had a collision with young lad in a dingy and you can bet it would have been my fault.  You can't always have eyes in the back of your head.  It is a useful tool, I didn't fit it just to help me reversing (eyes are much more realiable) more a safety aid as I said my river is crowded holiday yatchs who think they own the place. That's not to say the majority aren't responsible.  Glad you liked the camera Terry it was a pleasure showing you.