Options

Transom housing/gimbal rings

06 342 with 500 hours
My mechanic has told me that my transom housing is leaking and needs to be replaced, and that the gimbal rings are 'bad' and therfore I may have a pontential steering problem.  I knew that the transom housing was leaking and bilge pump seems to handle this problem.  Do you know if I can have the gimbal ring problem fixed independent of the transom problem?    The quote for these repairs is $10,000.  Have you had to have this work done on your boat and does seem like a fair price quote?  Paul

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doing (2) gimbal rings will set you back since they will want to pull the engines to do both no doubt.  What do you mean the transom housing is leaking?  Usual suspects are the gimbal ring/steering pin for the Bravo III and then bellows.  Letting water leak and relying on the bilge pump is a bad, bad bet, let alone if you get moisture into the transom/hull.  Get a second quote for the work and what will be done. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Paul,
    is it the transom housing that is leaking or the steering shaft, on my boat I was told that the housing was leaking and after a good trouble shooting it turn out it was the steering shaft which could  be replace lot cheaper .I would definitely recommend a second opinion. And yes the gimbal could be fixed independently.
    I bought all the special tools to do mine (steering shaft, gimbal bearing ,bellows ,
    gimbal bushing ) and all the necessary parts for about 2000$ U.S for both sterndrives.
    Paul
  • Options
    TietsortTietsort Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    My steering shafts are leaking. Is that fixed from the inside ( pull engines ) or outside ( off with the outdrives) ?
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Most dealer will tell you that the motors has to be remove to replace the steering shafts big money . But it can be done from the outside take a look at jrmarine.com and their video call
    gimbal rings video 
    lot of peoples had good result with their products. Their stainless steel shaft is a bit expensive their are some available on e-bay 
    Paul
  • Options
    paulsivertpaulsivert Member Posts: 19
    Thank you for your comments I'm still conducting the research that's been suggested.  Paul
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    Just ran across this
    http://www.ghrkits.com/

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    kneedeepkneedeep Member Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    Both my steering pins are leaking.  Luckily I'm still under warranty. The merc dealer is doing the repair from the outside. I'd rather he pull the engines, but I don't think merc will cover it.  I don't love the idea of cutting a hole in the drive to fix it & depending on a plate to cover the hole.  I get anxiety just thinking about it, but from what I've read, it works.
  • Options
    nhsdnhsd Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    Man, if mine were under factory warranty they would not be damaging my drive in order to "fix" it, they would fix it properly so that my drive met factory spec after the warranty work. I am sure that it "works", but third party after market parts "work" too but I wouldn't accept them for warranty repairs...

Dave

2002 Captiva 212, 5.0 220 hp, Alpha 1, 1.62 gears

Moon Township, PA - boating in the Ohio River