Options

Boot stripe removal.

FDNY49FDNY49 Member Posts: 116 ✭✭
Need to replace the boot stripe on my 2004 FV 312. What would be the best way to remove the existing stripe without causing damage to the underlying gel coat?
Thanks
Brian

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe you need heat, as in a hair dryer to get the glue soft. You would likely need to polish out any residual glue. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A hairdryer or heat gun on low will remove it. Use acetone to get the remaining glue off. It will need buffed out or you will see the old stripe in the gel.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    All sage advice. I'll add this short story...

An old salt was hired to paint a new waterline boot stripe on a boat in the boatyard. It's a difficult job to get done precisely but a price was agreed and he came out with paint  and a brush and began to free hand the bootstripe. The owner was shocked and began to insult the painter for his lack of precise determination of the waterline on his boats brand new paint job. The old salt patiently kept painting and ignored the insults.

The next weekend as the boat was hoisted into the water the owner was shocked to see that the old salt had precisely matched the waterline around the entire vessel. He humbly asked how it came out so perfectly but the old salt wouldn't divulge his trade secret.

Around the bar that night following a few beverages another marina tenant who had overheard the insults asked the old salt how he'd done such an amazing thing. The old salt quietly said with a smile. " I knew the job was coming when I saw her on the stands in the yard and I simply marked the hull at the old waterline before they stripped the paint".

Gettin' to the point, Lay down a tiny nick every few feet along the waterline all the way around before you strip off the old bootstripe and you'll be one step closer to being considered an old salt.  :D Just sayin'
    Mike

Post edited by TikiHut2 on
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl