Adios XDP sterndrive

andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
Day one of upgrade from XDP to OceanX.

Step one, haul boat out of slip. This is what an XDP looks like after 27 months immersed in the Pacific. Note lack of growth on composite housing. One exhaust bellow is detached and of course there is a tear in the drive bellows. The prop has a small hole on the edge of the hub. Next step, haul boat to beautiful downtown Costa Mesa.

Stay tuned for more :)

Andy

Comments

• andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Sorry, having trouble posting pics

edited December 2014
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,456 admin
    What is ugly? He said that this was in the water for 27 months....... That's over 2 years. Looks pretty good to me.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    One advantage of only having a 6 month boating season.  The old girl gets a bath before she goes to bed.  :wink: 

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How old is the drive? 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

It's the original drive sold with the boat on 12/16/05 in Sarasota, FL. A 2006 model. It has served me well since I bought the boat in 2010, but after 9 years in the brine and the negative reputation it was time to upgrade.
    August of 20012 was the last time the boat was hauled and the drive was serviced and thoroughly cleaned, it's been in saltwater since then. I procrastinated this last summer in doing the 2 year maintenance and I'm glad I did because I'm now able to put those dollars I would have spent towards a newer and from what I've heard a much better drive.
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I guess I don't see anything wrong either with the pictures.  It's just growth, not corrosion.  Are you actually having issues with the drives?  I'd say even the new drives will look like that in the same amount of time.  The area where there is growth is an area you don't normally paint.

If you don't want that growth, either routinely haul it and clean or get a lift.  (I have the latter, and got one up on you Stodge...I can rinse mine off after every outing instead of just 6 months).  Wax the drives once or twice a year, still looks like new even with the original stickers on them.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

I understand that original idea behind using the composite housing for saltwater applications was to avoid corrosion, not growth. Not a bad idea on paper, the notorious problems with the drive were mechanical in nature. Growth is just cosmetic and was largely removed during the monthly bottom cleaning. Since the drive was always in the down position, the growth is in areas that are inaccessible.

I'm blessed with only one drive thankfully. It has worked OK, and has never failed me. Since this is my first boat and the only Rinker I've ever skippered, I really don't have a benchmark to measure it against as far as performance. It gets up on plane fairly quickly with a couple of people on board and cruises nicely at 25 mph and about 4K rpm in average seas. My motor is the 5.0L with 270hp and its relatively modest power and the lightness of the boat has probably helped keep the drive in working order. I did replace the bellows and gimbal bearing in 2012.

Due to the unrelenting bad "press" the XDP has received, it was always a worry for me that I'd have a catastrophic failure at some worse case moment, such as halfway to Catalina Island. So for me the "peace of mind" factor was a big motivator, with the possible improved performance and resale value as a bonus.
  • FDNY49FDNY49 Member Posts: 116 ✭✭
    I think the drive looks great. May I ask what paint you used on drive?
    I'm not sure on the paint brand, perhaps Pettit or Interlux? I think it was traditional ablative paint containing copper. Not the newer "environmentally friendly" type. I've heard that San Diego harbor is banning copper paint, but the U.S. Navy is exempt! How many pleasure boats equal one aircraft carrier?, LOL.
    edited December 2014
    Project on hold for a couple of days due to heavy rain :neutral_face: 
  • luckydogluckydog Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    Much needed rain for your area
    OK, so a brief break between rainstorms allowed the heavy work to begin. The condition of the XDP was poor, so poor I'm even more glad that this work is finally in progress. Water intrusion was total and the case had some damage.
    This swap is brought to you by Ray and his fine crew at Outdrive Exchange in Costa Mesa, so kudos to them.

Santa Claus arrived early!

Drive removed exposing bellows

Case damage. Unknown cause.

Driveshaft + seawater = BAD

XDP graveyard! (Sorry about the finger)

Hatch on crane.

Removing hatch for better engine access.

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!!! You are lucky that the drive didn't fail. Good call by doing the change now. If you would have waited, you may have been stranded somewhere.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!

Great pictures!  Good thing you took care of it.  Water intrusion messes up a lot of things quickly.

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great pictures. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    Today started rainy, so I didn't expect much progress, so I was surprised when I got to the yard at noon so much had been done. Engine out, new transom shield installed. Sweet!

American V8 iron looking for a new mate!

A last some room in the engine bay!

A thing of beauty!

Inside view of new drive

New motor mounts needed...obviously!

• luckydogluckydog Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    Grate step by step pictures
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great job with the photos. If the shop will let you, get in an clean the bilge under the engine. It is much easier to do with the engine out. Also, change the oil from the bottom of the pan while it is pulled. You may never be able to do it again that way. Glad to see that they are making fast progress.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    Good advice Greg, thanks. Access is amazing when the engine is sitting on a pallet!  Here's what's on the to-do list:

1) Clean bilge (it wasn't very dirty because I use a bilge pad)
    2) New bilge pump and switch (the old one worked, but now's the time to replace)
    3) New raw water impeller
    4) Change oil and filter
    5) New fuel filter/water separator
    6) Replace perforated hose clamps with non-perforated
    7) New spark plugs
    8) The big one - new exhaust manifolds and risers
    Yeah, sure a Merc Diesel...and a Nordhavn 86 too! Like I can afford a pot to p__ in after all this!
    Anyways, the old faithful petrol-burning 302 V8 went back in this morning. As well as a new pump impeller, the pump bearing was replaced. Also a new oil pressure sender. New manifolds should be on by the end of today.
    Still waiting for the props to come back from the shop putting in the new spiral-cut spline hubs. Next week, bottom paint and a buff and wax, then getting an estimate on a new bimini, the old original factory canvas got shredded on the freeway.

Engine back in its snug home

The Outdrive Exchange A team, owner Ray, father & son techs Jose & Aaron. These guys are awesome!

I forgot to mention a new shifter cable. Not an easy thing to install!
    Comments removed...let's keep things clean here guys & some thoughts best kept to yourself.  (for nothing else, because you love this boating site for the people on it)

Thank you Dream_Inn. I hope this thread has been informative and we can keep it on topic.
    Part 2 of this project can be found in the Express Cruiser forum until the title "XDP to OceanX swap, part 2"