Options

Fiesta Vee 270 year 2000

StevecStevec Member Posts: 12
Had boat for 3 years,no real issues, then last weekend opened cabin door to find sleeping compartment area soaked, mattress and bedding soaked, and I mean soaked!,also water on headboard shelf,and at roof lining in sleeping area.
1. Water tank not leaking,as was full as left
2. No sign of water ingress on deck.
3. No sign of holes/splits in outer skin.
4. No sign of water in engine bay next to water tank
5. Boat is in secure marina, malicious damage may be option

Has anyone got any comments on how/where this water ingress may have come from. BTW the water was clean water, no smell
Post edited by mvn on

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Could be one of the screws attaching the rail or a cleat to the deck.  Could also have a leaky portlight.

I had an issue in the mid-cabin that turned out to be the shower sump.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roof lining? This would be just below the helm seat? Area above that should be well sealed. Was your canvas on? 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    luckydogluckydog Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    Check your drain behind helm 
  • Options
    Covers on.
    it seems like port side water ingress, but not sure where from.
    Can u advise where drain behind helm is?.

• Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Drain is behind helm if you look where helm meets cabin usually you can see it where the door slides toward and behind helm pita to get too on mine 
  • Options
    luckydogluckydog Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    My drain is in the same spot
  • Options
    BritinusaBritinusa Member Posts: 306 ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    the puzzle to me is why is it on the headboard shelf? is the bunk layout different?
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If its coming in on the portside it wouldnt be the helm drain which is on opposite side. Unless the drain is blocked and it is overflowing at the cabin door frame. Other thing to check is whether the Bimini frame isn't leaning where it is screwed into the deck. 

Can you spray water from outside to test for penetration?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Just had marine surveyor look it over, looks like either rubbing strake, or windscreen, am going to have to remove roof lining in bed area,dry out and see if can locate,any thoughts?
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
     Do not try to remove the headliner unless you don't have a choice it has a foam backing that is glue to the fiberglass and most of the foam will be stuck to the Fiberglas  when you try to put it back it will be a mess 
  • Options
    Thanks for that,...the surveyor advised remove panels,..I think the one above the main bed will have to come out as its warped,...but do not really want to start taking more out. Really do not need this!,...winter and rain in the UK!,...just what I need. Still not convinced its the rubbing strake,..as I had both sides removed and re sealed 3 years ago,....and its lower than head lining. Anyone had any leaks from anchor warp locker,....as that will hold water,and could leak down side of boat between outer skin and inner lining,..thus finding lowest point (bedroom) and pooling behind lining.
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Are you sure it's not leaking around the hatch and running in and down? You said the liner above Main Bed is warped that very well could be the start of the leak. I would get a hose and start wetting the thing down. There are some post I here on ways to find leaks by adding air to cabin 
  • Options
    BritinusaBritinusa Member Posts: 306 ✭✭
    I agree the simple way is to run water over the boat while someone watches from inside, i have done this on cars in the past.
  • Options
    Thanks guys,...I have taken down the roof lining panel,..it was rotten,..the ply was black,..and broke up,..like something from the Mary Rose!,..this had been going on for years,..and I think the ply had been soaking a small amount of water up like blotting paper,..then reached saturation point and let go. It seems OK behind the head board,...so have left a dehumidifier on the boat until after Xmas,..and can look for leak proper.
  • Options
    Have removed more head/side lining,..and found leak, it seems to be coming in from some place about the position of the windscreen,....the seals seem OK,..but the thick rubber strip in the extrusion which holds the screws is in poor shape,..so needs to be removed,and I can then check screws and seal up
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Always good when you can figure out those kind of mysteries!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Yea thanks,...but experience has taught me things are never quite so easy!,...what's the betting whole screen has to come off!!,.Noooooooooo!
  • Options
    I've used flowable silicone to repair/enhance the rubber seal in the windshield frame.  The auto parts stores sell it here.  It's basically a very thin silicone that will work into the gaps much like water does.  The trick is to cover the exit point on the inside.  

• Options
    Thanks Stodge,....I was looking at that,..we have something in the UK called X-Seal Acrylic 120 impregnant its a self penetrating sealer. Do you have the thick black rubber seal on the frame of your windscreen?,...I think this covers the screw heads,..mine is in poor shape,..and am reluctant to remove,as I think it would just break up,..as I think I need to seal the screws better,..and check if there are any holes.
  • Options
    On mine there a black rubber gasket that goes along the outside edge of the glass, then is pushed inside the windshield frame which is basically a C shaped channel.  I don't know of any screw holes, but there must be some for the joints.

• Options
    Sounds same as mine,...yes there are screws in the C channel,...and sometimes holes with no screws in!!,....all a source of water ingress,my rubber is quite perished and seems to be almost sponge like....So am treating this as a potential leak area,..and will remove and seal screw,..then replace with new seal.
  • Options
    If the rubber seal is that bad then your plan should do the trick.  Good luck and keep us posted.

• Options
    I have sourced the Neoprene seal for the C channel,..so will be replacing this,I have also used a waterproof expanding foam inside,..this will seal any localised hole from inside.