Options

2002 FV270 dinghy outboard storage?

diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
I have read about the outboard storage locker, "Pull the bench seat up and you have a molded-in space for the dingy outboard".... Just wondering if anyone knows how big of an outboard I can fit in there? pictures? Thank you

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my 342 it fits the old Merc 3.3 perfect, some people get 5hp in there, but you run out of room fast.  Remember if you have a 4-stroke outboard it can only lay on one side or you get oil in the cylinder.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a 270 and do have the storage under the rear bench seat.  I THINK this is an option and not a standard but not 100% on that one- if it is there, you would see it. if it is a standard, perhaps someone redid the storage for more room or something....
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not that big. I have 8ft Fishing rods that are 2 piece so 4 foot a piece. I can barely get them in straight across. In terms of depth , the available height is reduced towards the back of the transom locker, I would say you have Max 24 inches of depth at full height.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Thank you all for the replies... the boat is wrapped up for the winter and I don't have easy access to it.
  • Options
    Since I am seriously looking into getting a dinghy and small outboard I decided to look into this a little further. So I called Rinker this afternoon to ask them about the "outboard storage locker/area". They said that the "dinghy package" came with 3 outboard options(all that fit in the storage area)... The 3 motor options were 3.3hp, 3.5hp and 4.0hp 4-stroke Mercury outboards. Next I called Mercury and asked them if the size of their 2002 4hp 4-stroke was the same size as the new(2015) 4hp outboard... They said that not much at all has changed since 2002 and they were basically the same size.... They also said that the 4hp, 5hp and 6hp (2015) models are all the exact same size. Soooo, that would mean that I should be able to fit a new 6hp Mercury(or Tohatsu) in the outboard storage area. THAT IS WHAT THEY SAID!!!  If it were just my wife and me, I wouldn't care where I put the outboard.... But with the 2 kids(and other passengers every weekend) floor space is at a premium and the use of this area will make a huge difference for me. 
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Just as an aside, when I bought my 4hp Merc in 2011, it was the lowest power outboard they offered that had both and internal and an external fuel tank capability. I like the flexibility and the fact I can run around all week without refilling the tank.