Options

XDP to OceanX swap, part 2

andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
I'm starting a new discussion to make this easier to scroll through, and putting it in the Express Cruiser forum instead of General Boating questions, which is more relevant.

Progress has been slowed by the Christmas holiday and some rainy weather, however the drive is now mounted to the transom. We are still waiting on the props to come back from the shop installing the hubs. The bottom has been painted and the hull has been buffed and waxed. The gel coat has not shone this nicely for years!

My wife got me a Raymarine Dragonfly GPS plotter/fish finder for Christmas. So the timing is good to get the transducer installed while the boat is on the hard. It looks like we will be able to splash the boat the first week of the new year.
Andy

Buffed & waxed!

New bottom paint
Drive installed

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks great!
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks real nice.....I've been trying to get mine buffed out but before I get one end done, the part I did starts to look like crap again......
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That drive is too pretty to put in the water!!!
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice. Looks like a new boat!

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Absolutely beautiful!!!  I'm sure you are very anxious to get her back in the water.  Enjoy!!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options

Bitterly cold (for So.Cal) today. These hills near my ranch in San Diego County haven't seen snow in all the time I've owned the place, since 1989!

Thanks for the nice comments and Happy New Year to all my Rinker owning friends!
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Looks awesome..........
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    After some delay caused by Christmas in getting the props back from the shop after a rehub and taking care of some minor prop corrosion damage, the plan is to splash the boat next Tuesday, weather permitting.

The drive has been painted and the transducer for the Raymarine Dragonfly 7 plotter/sonar installed. The old transom speedo pitot was removed and it's escutcheon was repurposed for the transducer wiring. I literally can't wait to get the display fired up and take a peek at the record breaking underwater population off the coast of So. Cal.

Today I'm getting the original factory canvas replaced as well as two Isenglass panels, one torn and the other with detached zippers.

Have a great weekend everyone.
    Andy

• Options
    Nice. That is one long transducer.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    Looks great! You will be Soooo happy with that drive and performance!!!!
  • Options
    Finally, 33 days after pulling her out of the water for the swap and other work, my Rinker is back in the Pacific! After a careful launch and a thorough check for any possible leaks, I backed her away from the ramp for the sea trial.

I could tell right away there was an improvement, it felt like a new boat. Tracking was much improved at slow speed, and it sounded noticeably smoother and quieter. Before the boat was quite "squirrely" at harbor speeds under 5 mph, requiring a lot of steering input. Now it feels more like it's on a rail. Perhaps this is because the skeg is bigger, giving more "rudder" area, I'm not sure.

Out to the open ocean, which was slightly choppy with a 3 to 4 foot swell. I pushed the shifter/throttle forward and was pleasantly surprised at how effortlessly plane was achieved with two 200lb+ dudes on board. Went to WOT and got over 30mph. Back down to 25 mph, planing nicely, 3800rpm, burning about 13 GPH, nice!

Tomorrow I'll start getting the boat tidied up, perhaps take her out for another run. My new canvas bimini and new front Isenglas has been ordered and will be installed early next week. Until then, I have a drop top convertible. Fortunately the weather in the next few days is forecast to be dry and in the 70s.

This process has been exciting, a bit stressful, and of course a bit spendy, but I'm now convinced it was very much worth the effort. Thanks to everyone for their great comments, and I hope the info has been useful.
    Andy

An uninvited guest along for the sea trial!

• Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    Great news! Mine was the same experience! Be sure to break in the drive like you did when your motor was new. Changing speeds over the next 20 hours. Open throttle for a few moments back down and randomly around the planning rpms.

LG
  • Options
    Many thanks to Ray, Jose and Aaron at Outdrive Exchange in Costa Mesa, CA. who did amazing work, especially pulling the engine, which on the FV250 is like playing the board game "Operation." Cheers!
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice LG, and you were soooo right about the OceanX! Cheers.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Looks great and glad everything worked out. How come your guest does not have a beer....lol
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Ha ha, beer battered fish maybe?
  • Options
    Great result. Man I miss boating ... when is this winter going to be over???

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Oh man, that must be a great feeling!

I'm hoping I'm back out on my boat in 7 or 8 weeks, counting down!!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys are off topic. You must erase your comments!
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    It sounds like another delighted OceanX captain.  They are great aren't they.

Tony
    Salt Shaker 342
  • Options
    BritinusaBritinusa Member Posts: 306 ✭✭
    Did i read that those drives with counter rotational props make the boat track better at low speeds? because of less wash on the starboard side (i maye be wrong about the side)
  • Options
    Certainly, duo props at low speeds allow the boat to back up straighter, and also there is little to no "prop walk," a tendency to move the stern of the boat sideways,  which occurs with conventional single propellers. I'm not sure if they aid in keeping the boat straight going forward. Old timers love prop walk because it can be useful in docking.
    FYI, two props on the same shaft turning in different directions, to be geeky/technical, are called CONTRA rotating props. Counter rotating props are two separately power props on the same boat turning in opposite directions.

• Options
    BritinusaBritinusa Member Posts: 306 ✭✭
    Thanks for that, i thought i had heard that
  • Options
    serpico1serpico1 Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Looks nice.  I have twin XDP drives on my 2004 312FV.  Nothing but problems with those drives.  Did you go through Volvo to replace the drive or did you do it on your own?  I understand that Volvo is offering the upgraded drive at a discounted price to XDP owners
  • Options
    The shop where I had the work done is VP authorized. I don't know if VP would sell the parts direct to the end user, probably not is my guess because there is a warranty offered.
    If you do go through an authorized shop, be sure to shop around. Some try to add a hefty markup on the parts, which I think is counter productive to VP's mission in starting the XDP program, which I assume is to help owners out and to make an effort to rehabilitate their reputation in the eyes of those who own the less-than-stellar XDP model.
  • Options
    duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    what did it cost you to swap the one drive andy? i bought my 06 250ec in april unaware of the issues with these drives. i am in fresh water and doesn't seem to be any issues so far, fingers and toes crossed!!

• Options
    LobodemarLobodemar Member Posts: 124 ✭✭
    I made the swap from XDP to DPS-B on a 2006 270 in a VP dealer my cost 11000.00 cdn 
    The boat is now just wow
  • Options
    Just get a bid for engine & drive removal and replacement in your area. It's a straightforward job for a good mechanic, routine really. A really good shop could get this work done in a couple of days starting early and working late. So thirty hours of actual shop labor is about right. More hours are reasonable for any unseen complications.

While the motor is out you should also have the bilge thoroughly cleaned and perhaps replace the bilge pump with a higher capacity unit, I did. Having the engine on a pallet allows easy access, so any routine engine maintenance is a good idea too. Exhaust manifolds and risers are a must if you are due for that. Insist on a thorough sea trial and a warranty on the work done.