Options

Hitch extension

Ive been searching the web with no success. I am looking for a hitch that i can extend when i launch and recover my boat then for hwy trailering move it back to the standard length. Reason being is I have a short box bed and the ramp that i use is not very deep at all and ive noticed i have to get the truck into the water just to get the boat off the trailer in almost full reverse. Yes it has been up to the exhaust pipe witch makes me a little uncomfortable.  Any thoughts on this?  A simple hitch that is extended, chock the trailer remove the lock pull forward to the extended lock hole launch then recover then move it back to the standard length to haul.  Does such a thing exist?  If not.  Why not?

joe
2007 230 ECC 350 Mag MPI Alpha 1

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would get you back another 18" or so, but you would have to place it and remove it each time you are at the ramp. It looks like etrailer has some other bars, but you would have to modify the longer ones.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    usafaviatorusafaviator Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    Kind of greg more along the lines something like this. I guess ball mount is the correct nomenclature for the hardware.  This one by curt is all that i can find and its only a 3" adjustment.  Im looking for something between 8-12"

2007 230 ECC 350 Mag MPI Alpha 1
  • Options
    bigal6030bigal6030 Member Posts: 157 ✭✭
    I would have something fabricated at a local shop. It would have to be some type of heavy duty sleeve that would handle the tongue weight of the trailer with minimum sag. One end would slip into the receiver of the truck and the hitch would slip into the sleeve extension.

Big Al - 2006 - 270 Express Crusier

Home port: Hammond Ind.

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As an old trailer sailor we often had creative trailer sailors who pulled up with a sliding tongue extension that could be extended just before launching and retract for hwy use. Some would also strap launch the trailer with a stout nose wheel at the hitch. I was never a fan of a either but trailer sailors are an ingenious lot when it comes to getting the beast down the hwy and into deep water.

If you absolutely want to use a marginal/low angle ramp then do some research on sailboat trailer tongue mods. Good luck and be safe.
    Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl