Options

Low hours/older model concerns

usafaviatorusafaviator Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
last summer i purchased a 2007 rinker 230 ec, 5.0 mpi mated to the alpha 1.  With only 85hrs on the boat now i can tell that it was well taken care of and the previous owner always had it serviced by the local marina before and after the season.  Do you have any suggestions as to what i need to be checking with a boat this old.  When i get home i am going to do a tune up on it. Plugs, fuel filter check the cap and wires, my concern is bellows and the expensive parts.  Any thoughts?
2007 230 ECC 350 Mag MPI Alpha 1

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would change the impeller, the shift bellows and the drive bellows. The drive oil will get changed when the impeller is changed since it is in the drive. While the drive is off, have the alignment checked as well. You could call the marina that serviced the boat to see what was done. Those two things may have recently been taken care of. If they were, you then have a reference as to when it was done, and when it should be done again.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod

First off, the boat really isn't that old.  But, you are right to be concerned with the items mentioned.  One other item not mentioned is the risors/exhaust manifolds.  Whether it is raw water or fresh water cooled, those two items will still have raw water ran thru them. If used in salt water, it is time to check them.  Lake water is probably fine.

I also agree with what has been mentioned.  Gear lube, impeller are definite changes.  Bellows need to be looked at.  If they are soft, not brittle, you are probably fine.  Make sure there are no signs of leaks around them (looking inside).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    usafaviatorusafaviator Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    Thanks guys impeller and gear lube were changed beginning of the season just beore i bought the boat. All fresh water use so that leaves me with bellows which im gong to check when i ge back home stateside
    2007 230 ECC 350 Mag MPI Alpha 1
  • Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    i learned a long time ago, if you have to check the bellows, just replace them as well as the gimbal bearing.
  • Options
    BritinusaBritinusa Member Posts: 306 ✭✭
    A 2007 is not old in my book, mines an 89! as people have said you already know what items to check, also check your anodes.
  • Options
    luckydogluckydog Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    I bought my 2003 312 with 380 hours on it, I did have a compression test done also a survey done on it, Works like a charm, Now I'm just doing preventative maintenance
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    I respectfully disagree on the gimbel bearing change unless it's growling. Instead I would spend the effort pulling the drive and carefully re-alighn the OD. It's really simple and will save your drive, gimbel bearing and coupling. This will ultimately ease any load on the gimbel bearing, and more importantly the coupler, caused by a misalignment as the engine mounts ultimately settle, wear or change under load.

You may actually have the preferred older gimbel bearings that can be greased rather than the new ones with no fitting. The only real reason a gimbel bearing fails is due to carrying a binding load from a misaligned OD shaft.

Ultimately it's all about the drive alignment. You'll know it's done right when the tech (or you) can easily insert/withdraw the alignment tool with two fingers at each 90* rotation of the crankshaft. Don't settle for anything less.

Spoken like a guy who suffered through a recent failed coupler, after replacing a perfectly good gimbel bearing that I thought was the source of the mystery noise. I found my front engine mounts were at least 1/2" too low. Once I fixed it the boat was quieter than I'd ever experienced.

Good luck, Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl