Options

5E kholer generator

Hi
I have a 5E gasoline kholer generator it is gasoline, so the problem I have is that it works for 2 hours after that it shuts down I turn it on and it does it, but it still shuting down many times I tested it with a separate fuel tank and it does the same, some suggestion to solve this problem 

Thanks 

Comments

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Start by doing a search on this site for Kohler 5e and you'll find many good leads to solve your issue. I've never had an issue with ours but some of the guys here have many tips to look into.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    If it is a 5ECD model there should be an error code associated with it when it stops. You have to remove the sound box panel to read the LED readout. The error code will lead you towards what's going on with your unit.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Try changing the plugs. Even if they look good. The 5E eats them like candy.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    The Main ExchangeThe Main Exchange Member Posts: 280 ✭✭✭

21rene21. Send me your e mail and I will send you the service and parts manuals, they have fault codes and a trouble shooting section.

2007 300 EC, 350 Mags, B3's, Table Rock Lake, MO

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if it just the plain 5e, all the manuals are posted in the generator section by me. 

If you search the forum, I have a laundry list of problems/solutions posted up.  Plugs are the #1, note there are (2) of them!  If not the problem, then:
    * Check the oil..it is picky about the oil being to the FULL mark..do not screw in the dipstick to check!
    *Cooling system: clean strainer.  Replace impellor.  Check coolant level at cap. Check that the overflow reservoir is full.  If you let it go dry it will suck in air and it will NOT self bleed out and can/will cause overheat shut downs.  I posted up a way to bleed out.  You may also need to backflush the heat exchanger to get any trapped impellor pieces out too. 

Good luck.  it is fixable!!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    21rene2121rene21 Member Posts: 2
    Richardward2006 my email address is justin.rene21@hotmail.com // thanks for all your advices I gorgot to say that this generator has a carburetor 

Thanks 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I should mention that one (1) of the problems I had where the unit would shut down was due to the electrical connection for the fuel pump.  Mine was poorly assembled and one of the contacts was barely touching (and was actually arcing).  It would 'disconnect' when it got hot and stop the fuel flow.  I hard spliced it as a solution.

You might also try running it without the service panel on the sound enclosure (of yours has this).  Mine will not run long with it installed.  It is really no louder with it off than on.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI