Looking for boat slip in Suffolk,Long Island NY

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
We're currently in the process of buying a new home and now need a new slip also. We're moving to the North Shore (East Setauket) but would like to have the boat on the South Shore. Would like to be directly south of East Setauket if possible. Would be for a 2001 242. Thanks!
2008 330EC

Comments

• SerenitySerenity Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    Hi Aero-congrats on the new home. I keep mine at Sunset Harbour in East Patchogue. They are great and right across from Fire Island--Davis Park and Watch Hill. Go to their website to see pictures. If interested Rick is the manager. The whole crew is great. Also a very good certified mechanic on site.
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Serenity! That's a GREAT location. How are there rates?
    2008 330EC
    The fees are a little high but it is worth it to me. I have been there for 5 years now and you can not beat the professionalism. I really use my boat a lot and never have to worry. It is protected waters from storms and never any vandalism. The docks are great. They have a pool, Tiki Bar/Restaurant and mechanic on site. There is a cheaper marina in Blue Point on Corley Avenue. I was there for years but the docks are not that good-problems with water depth and no certified mechanic. You may find a few places in Patchogue but I have never looked into any there.  
    I just called Sunset and left a message, will see what they say.
    2008 330EC
    Just tell Rick or Kathy  John with the Blue 32 Rinker spoke to you. Good Luck.
    Thanks! 
    2008 330EC
    No call back yet. I went there yesterday to check it out and feel it might be a little too far east to drive to. I'm going to check out Corey beach in Blue Point I think there are two marinas there. One that is private (the one that you mention) and one that is owned by the town.
    2008 330EC
  • chrissyscallchrissyscall Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    I'm in Bay point marina, Blue Point, I live on the north shore as well, Nicolls Rd straight down
    edited January 2015
    That's a great location also. How do you guys like Patchogue Bay? I hear it can get rough at times since it's so open. I put my name on the waiting list for Corey Beach Marina (run by the town of Brookhaven). I'm #33 in line, the women that helped me today said that I have a chance of getting in this season. Best thing is it's only $70/ft. I also put my name on the list for Port Jefferson and Mt.Sinai but there is a 8-9 YEAR wait!!!!
    2008 330EC
    I used to keep my boat across from the town slips and there was always a problem with kids hanging out. There the boats are open. They do have a watchman during the day but the night is touchy. The Bay can get a little messy but is not bad. Most of the time during the summer it is out of the South. So the ride from Fire Island is with the seas and a fun ride. In the mornings it is flat calm and generally picks up in the afternoon. Then in the evening the bay is a lake. On windy days I go east near Moriches and it is always flat--more protected. One thing you will need to get used to is the water depth. I boated all my life in the Huntington area and used to deep water. The first time I boated in Great South Bay-I was having a heart attack with 3-4 feet in the middle. Then you will need to learn the areas to watch out for. Not as well marked as the Sound--more forgiving since you are dealing with sand and not rocks. Areas where you think should be deep water and it is 1 foot. I learned by picking the brain of local boaters and the charts. SeaTow and BoatUS are the best with advice. Good Luck.
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I chuckled at your 3-4 foot of water heart attack comment.  Lake St. Clair has an average depth of 11 feet.  We end up in 3 feet (or less) of water nearly every weekend.  There was this one shallow (inches) spot where someone had placed a table which was part joke part warning.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Stodge--that would be funny to see. We have a few spots here on Long Island which are the same. All the more reason to know your waters. Charts/GPS are all outdated and local knowledge is key.
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Navigating through 3 ft of water regularly??  I wouldn't want to do it, would not be alive, would have died of a stroke long ago.  In Lake O we are blessed... 2 minutes offshore and your in 80 feet of water.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm in Bay point marina, Blue Point, I live on the north shore as well, Nicolls Rd straight down
    I'm in the slip right next to you... I actually loved your boat so much that I just purchased a 2002 FV 270 on Dec. 23... My Rinker is the solid white though, like the looks of your blue hull a bit better. I have(had) the Maxum on your left side.... I'll see you out there in May!
    Good Luck diggin2day1, see you in may!! Your going to love your 270!!!!!
    edited April 2015
    It's been a crazy 2 months getting the house ready but tomorrow is the day we move in! I was able to get a slip at Corey Beach, right now I think it will serve us well for the price (still have a bunch of projects to do at the house). If I'm not happy this season I can always go somewhere else next season. I'm excited to be able to explore further east on the bay!
    2008 330EC
    I'm in! I finally had some time to put the boat in the water yesterday. So far I really like the slip and location.

2008 330EC
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks nice there.
    Aero good luck. What a feeling to finally see the boat in the slip. Maybe I will see you out in the Bay. I am in Sunset Harbor in Patchogue.
    Serenity, I'll keep an eye out for you!
    2008 330EC
    Good luck, great spot, u can hit Flo's on the way home!!!
    edited June 2015
    Yes, and JT's!
    Post edited by aero3113 on
    2008 330EC