Options

thru hull water inlet for engines.

Does anyone have thru hull water inlets in 342.
what is best location??
would like to do with engines out???

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine are next to each other close to the rear of the boat near the low part of the bilge. 1 1/2 inch. 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find this thru-hull engine cooling thing interesting, I have no such thing on my 342 (350MAG MPI B3).  I can see it for inboards, but how can you be pulling water though the outdrive and a far less restrained thru-hull? 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    randy342randy342 Member Posts: 21
    Handyman,how did you block off old inlets?
    Could u send me a picture? 
    Would really help.
    thanks, new guy on block.

• Options
    Black_diamond,  i use my boat in the river a lot and had a lot of problems with over heating from grass & sea weed.
    installed thru hulls,solved problem. (On myOld boat)
    hope to do same on this boat.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I don't have mercury engines but my raw water pump sucks water thru the thru hulls and drives then thru the motor.

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have both- you would have to think that it pulls from what ever is the least resistant so I see what your saying black...I would guess at idle it would be pulling from the thru hull easier than the foot- when your running at higher speeds and your pulling 30 gallons per minute, it's going to pull it from wherever it can?
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Right - it'll draw water from the path of least resistance, which is probably the thru-hull most of the time.  But a Bravo 3 can feed more than enough water to cool even a big-block engine.  (My 496's don't have thru-hulls.)

Dual intake is a mixed blessing.  If the outdrive pickup gets clogged, the thru-hull provides a redundant path, so that's good.  But it also adds risk because thru-hull fittings can fail.  It also adds complexity, and of course cost (which is probably why most builders skip it).   Do the benefits outweigh the cost/risk -- yeah, probably.

Also, on the 342 it's almost impossible to reach the valve levers way back between the engines.

RANDY342: I'm sure you have already read all the "don't do this" guidance for installing thru-hulls.  There are a lot of mistakes that can end badly. 

Are you going to add raw-water strainers?  To me, that's a bigger benefit than dual intake, but it does make for a complicated and expensive upgrade.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure I understand, but my service manual shows like three different style of risers- I think that may have something to do with which have dual pick up or not. Mine has the dual with a strainer. I am also a half closed loop so the raw water cools only the risor/manifold and the heat exchanger.
  • Options
    At present,my water intake comes from the out drives only.
    i have had problems in the past with other boats not cooling.
    however i think i will leave them alone  for now.
    aditional  holes in my boat does not excite me at this point.
    thank u for your input.
    need all the help i can get.