Options

wiring,,,

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
How do the simple things end a mess...my back up lock out was not working and figured out the pin on the trailer side was broken, simple fix right? I bought a 48" extension to scavenge the plug, and the wire colors are not the same. So, with meter I have it about figured out. I think, in the process, the wires I think grounded out on the trailer frame and maybe blew a fuse in the truck. I found this relay in my book but I have no idea how to test it...anyone lend me a hand in this? I will post a picture from home but has two blades that are power in and then two more that must be power out but don't know which is what...i assume power in and then test for continuty ....

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh wow. I've had those days before. They suck.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My truck has a separate set of fuses for the trailer plug so if something shorts out, it won't blow out the tail lights on the truck. The lockout should be on the blue wire on the pigtail. The blue is connected to the reverse lights.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Ras,
    usually a relay is used for the turn signal . I think you should be looking for a bad fuse. 
  • Options

I looked in the manual and while all the other stop,turn are regular blade type fuses, the running lights are on a relay, its described as a 1/2 ISO relay , trailer tow park lamps. I also googled a little and found a post on an f 150 forum describing the running lights not working. Ford is pretty tight on the electrical and assume this circuit potentially could be handling a much higher demand compares to the other circuits on the trailer, I'm thinking. Now I just need to figure out how to test it as part of the solution as I have no power any more at the plug. 

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Ford has separate fuses for the trailer plug. They might be in the fuse box under the hood. My old Ranger and my current F-250 both had separate fuses for the trailer plug.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    here is a picture of the plug in side and then, someone who knows what they are doing, would be able to understand and test it. I assume if I put power to the wrong two blades nothing would happen and if I put power to the correct two I will here it click?
  • Options
    blutobluto Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    If you apply 12 vdc across 1 & 2  the contacts between 3 & 5 will close. Just because you hear a "click" doesn't mean the contacts (3&5) are good ... you need to verify this with a meter.
  • Options
  • Options

well, was able to verify the relay as the fog lamp had the same so switched them and it worked. Since I could not really figure it out, so, just started checking all the fuses and found for the running lights there is a 20 amp fuse as well as the relay. And also found a broken wire on that circuit. So, with a found diagram got it all wired back correctly, break reverse lock out is still not working. I hear the coil clicking but brakes lock up. A piece of 2x4 keeps it from locking up but sure would like to have  it work...just replaced the master cylinder and that reverse lock out valve....can it get clogged up with yuck or something? Never really had the brakes working to well....