Options

Has anyone ever had to replace a gas tank on a FV270 - 2003?

If you can share some details that would be great. Also trying to find out how common this is for Rinker boats so if you can give me you name and email that would be great. Cheers Boating1010

Answers

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say based on my 342 that it is next to impossible with out cutting major portions of the cockpit out. 
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a thread last year on this. Not sure if it was for a FV, but there has to be generic challenges. In the thread I recall the poster had to change due to corrosion and a lead of the gas tank.

Why are you having to replace it? Can it be repaired?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    Based on the huge number of 270s produced over the years, along with the age, a tank failure in these boats is no more common than any boat mfg. I was aware that there'd been a tank swap done in 2011 by the prior owner of our boat and considered it a regular maintenance asset when we purchased. I suppose it'd be a different story if it would've happened on my shift. The new tank is an 88gal and slid right in as a perfect replacement. Details of the mfg in pic.

In a 270 it required an engine and genset removal and some glass work to slide the tank out through the engine compartment. Pretty standard stuff, in capable hands its not much more than a few days in the boat yard. Good time to do all the maintenance updates and upgrades while the genset and motor are on the hoist. After servicing everything, be especially aware of getting a perfect engine-O/D alignment and your boat is good to go another 10yrs with regular service.

We love our 270. Its been an awesome boat for us.

Good luck. Mike
    Post edited by TikiHut2 on
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl