7.4 gen 5 thermostate no where to be found. ?

DCALLWELDDCALLWELD Member Posts: 11
I haven't posted in a wile due to work. I have had time to pull my old 7.4 out of my rinker vista vee 260 , wile i was pulling it down i didn't find a thermostat in the housing, does every marine application have one ? the engine ran cold around 140  all the time according to the gauge. Nor did it ever show sighs of it getting hot, that is right up till the end but that was due to lack of oil pressure. any ideas , should it have one , why would some one pull it out and not replace it ???

Comments

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The engine probably had a bad t-stat and they didn't take the time to find the proper replacement. Or it has an overheating problem and they wanted to mask it. I would put one in and see what happens. I would say you are better off with it, than without it.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • DCALLWELDDCALLWELD Member Posts: 11

Ok thanks I will put one in it when It goes back tougher, does have a cracked block from a  freeze so maybe they took it out to lower block pressure. Even with a cracked block, that I die ground out and JB welded up , I still managed to get about 30 hours out of it.  

• jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    I would put a t-stat back in. You want a little heat in the motor. Too cold of a motor can rob you of power. 
  • DCALLWELDDCALLWELD Member Posts: 11
    Well thanks for all options I will put one back in it thanks fellas