Options

06 270 New to me maintenance

06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
As many of you know I bought my 06 270 this winter and I am creating a check list of maintenance to do before spring.  Previous owner kept decent records of maintenance but I am the kind of guy that wants to be 100% sure things are kept up to date as best as possible.  Survey  did not have too much to say about service that needs to be done.  Along with the usual winter check list, anyone have any advice for maintenance I should do or look out for?  I know the drive oil has been changed and impeller has been replaced.  Also drive was inspected and bellows were given the ok.  Thanks for any advice.    
Patrick
06 Rinker 270

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does it have the original risers and manifolds? 
    How many hours?
    I would change fuel filters every year along with the regular oil changes, etc. 
  • Options
    Also, check every piece of equipment by using every switch and verify that it works. A lot of us on here have done predictive maintenance like removing hatches and other items and resealing due to age. 

Do you have any automatic fireboy?
  • Options
    I believe it does as the boat was kept out of the water and flushed after each use.  I was about to replace them but not sure it needs it yet.  195 Hours.  Temperature is exactly where it needs to be.  Oil/filter change is a must, and adding fuel filters to the list
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Assuming Bravo 3, check/change the raw water pump impeller.  I miss that being part of the outdrive service with Alphas.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    And check the expiration date on your flares and the serviceability (no holes, mildew, oil stains etc.) of your PFDs.  And get a radio check for your VHF.  It amazes me when I do a vessel exam and ask how often they talk to people on their VHF and get the blank stare.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
  • Options
    Stodge! Start checking those Automatic fire extinguishers! 
  • Options
    As far as the automatic fire extinguishers, how to make sure the system is operating properly besides checking the levels on the fire extinguisher itself?  I am not familiar with the system, had Halon on my 95 Silverton
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Stodge said:
    Assuming Bravo 3, check/change the raw water pump impeller.  I miss that being part of the outdrive service with Alphas.
    impeller was just replaced 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options

Also, check every piece of equipment by using every switch and verify that it works. A lot of us on here have done predictive maintenance like removing hatches and other items and resealing due to age. 

Do you have any automatic fireboy?
    I believe it does, need to verify.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    You can see the lower unit where it hit bottom and wore away the drives paint.  Does this need to be touched up?  Also anything need to be done with props?

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options

Those drives liked like they were in the water a while. I would clean them up and paint them with an ablative paint for drives. Then I would wire brush the props and install new zinc. You could always have the props reconditioned too. I don't like the corrosion I see at the tilt pin in the last picture.

• Options
    Look for a green LED indicator light on your dash for the fire extingusher
  • Options
    I almost went to Colonial beach for the bike fest last fall but the weather was terrible.
  • Options
    read this link and boy is that some work.  This article is the reason why I will keep my boat on a lift.  While a lift may cost more money upfront, in the long run it will pay for itself time and time again.  In your opinion based off my photos, what needs to be done with this drive?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    I believe they were in the water for most of last season as it was trying to be sold but all of its life it has been lift kept.  Do you think the whole drive needs to be painted or just brush off corrosion and paint the spots.  About about the lower unit, you can see where the protective paint was damaged.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    I almost went to Colonial beach for the bike fest last fall but the weather was terrible.
    yup it rained the whole day, I was there.  If you come back this year give me a shout. 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    I was going to stay at the Marina behind the restaurant. Yes to the lift.  
  • Options
    thats my slip now.  Any advice on the steps to fix the drive corrosion? 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Just sand, prime and paint. Make sure the Mercathode is working too. 
  • Options
    think I need to do it if its staying on a lift?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    In regards of painting your outdrive the best and most durable way was posted on this forum by LaRea here it is.

The excellent customer service staff at Mercury Marine sent me an excerpt from Service Manual #39 with instructions for repainting Mercruiser outdrives.  

I won't post the procedure here because the manual is copyrighted.  Merc is planning to add it to the FAQ at mercurymarine.com.  Until then, it can be found elsewhere with this Google search:  "mercruiser paint refinishing gear housing Ditzler"

The process involves a 2-part epoxy primer and a 2-part urethane top coat.  It's intended for spray application, but I'll probably use a brush.  I am only doing small touch-ups, and I don't much care whether the result is pretty.  I have an air compressor and paint sprayer, but hauling and cleaning all that gear would turn this job into a real pain in the aft-end.  

Next challenge: finding the recommended paint products.  The manual (circa 2001) recommends a Ditzler urethane paint that is no longer available. Here's the replacement:  PPG OMNI MTK9300 replaces Ditzler DU9300.  

I could not find an online retailer.  From us.ppgrefinish.com, I found a local specialty auto supply store (Total Auto Parts, Springfield VA) that can order the paint. The products needed are:

(Ditzler-PPG part numbers)
    DX-330 Wax and Grease Remover
    DX-503 Alodine Treatment
    DP-90LF Epoxy Chromate Primer
    DP-402LF Catalyst (for DP-90LF primer)
    OMNI MTK9300 black single-stage urethane paint (replaces DU9300)
    DU5 Catalyst (for MTK9300 paint)

Buying minimum quantities, the kit will cost around $200.  That's more expensive than aerosol cans of Primocon + Trilux.  The question is, will it be more durable?
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,556 mod
    Gotta love the lift!  I've had my 310 and current boat on lifts, love it. I'd say you definitely should paint the drives.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express