Options

Throttle control

MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

I troll (fish) with my boat. Sometimes I need to keep a speed in between idle and where the throttle lever sticks (springs back to idle).

I then need to hold the throttle arm which is a bit tiresome.

Have a single Mercruiser 350MAG.

Is there anyway to get the throttle leaver to stick a bit more?

Also I'm busy installing a smart gauge from Mercruiser. Seems like this has troll control. Does anyone know what the min rpm you can set the troll control to work at?  I need to get down to speeds of around 2.5 mph at times.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

Comments

• Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    edited April 2013

Hmmm.....Lake Ontario.....2.5 mph......salmon???  If you can attain trolling speed with your current setup then the Smart Gauge in troll mode should work.  It looks like you can dial up either an engine speed (rpm) or boat speed.

Back in the day, I used a 9.8 hp kicker outboard mounted to the stern.  A PITA but I was able to hold the boat speed to 2.2 mph for the lures we were dragging.

Mark

Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    Yea I thought the troll mode would work alright. I'm getting as slow as 2.7 mph, but would like to go to 2.5 mph. Wondering if the troll mode will let me lower rpm to slightly below my current idle speed, or is this not pod for the engine?

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Don't know the answer but I have seen this
    That looks cool. Do you think it will push. 260 EC?

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    Yea I thought the troll mode would work alright. I'm getting as slow as 2.7 mph, but would like to go to 2.5 mph. Wondering if the troll mode will let me lower rpm to slightly below my current idle speed, or is this not pod for the engine?
    Minimum rated idle speed,  IMHO,  should not be reduced,  especially under load.   If you want to go slower,  you can try one of those horrific trolling plates,  drag a sea anchor or check out that electric motor @Babyboomer suggested. 

Mark
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    Don't know the answer but I have seen this
    That looks cool. Do you think it will push. 260 EC?
    Just looked it up Boats to 22 foot 5000#

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    PartsManPartsMan Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    I have the same problem with my throttle. Say you are traveling at no wake, the throttle won't stay in place.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod

Partsman, when you say it won't stay, do you mean it goes back to the middle?  There are adjustments at the engine for the throttle and shift cable.  Also, you both might want to see that when you shift into forward that the throttle cable does not advance thus giving you a higher throttle clicked in gear.  I beleive in the shifter itself it will initially advance the shift cable then throttle.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options

Every thing is fine other than 1/2 the time I have the hold the throttle so it don't slip back into neutral. 

• Options
    PM, it could just be a little adjustment to help.  Hopefully it's not some stiffness in the cable pushing back.

• Options
    where do I adjustment?
  • Options
    It is more than likely the shift cable not allowing it to stay in gear, which would adjust on the engine.  There are threads after where it is mounted (a couple inches from the end of the cable).  To me, it sounds like a few turns extending it to shift earlier is what is needed.  You may also want to first look int the shift/throttle at the helm to make sure things are going smooth there.

• Options
    Dream_Inn said:
    It is more than likely the shift cable not allowing it to stay in gear, which would adjust on the engine.  There are threads after where it is mounted (a couple inches from the end of the cable).  To me, it sounds like a few turns extending it to shift earlier is what is needed.  You may also want to first look int the shift/throttle at the helm to make sure things are going smooth there.
    No that's not it.  It stays in gear. Once you get into gear there is about 2" travel on the shifter before it sticks/holds at the level you placed it at.  Prior to that it springs back to idle (still in gear). If you need to travel at a speed between 500 rpm and 1000 rpm, then you have to hold the shift arm or it springs back to idle. So is there any way you can stiffen the shifter so it sticks as soon as you come out of idle.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Capt_SteveCapt_Steve Member Posts: 281 admin
    Mark...checking with Randy Rinker on this one.
  • Options
    Hey all...here's the official response from Randy Rinker on this subject. Also, see attached diagram for clarification on throttle shifter adjustment.

There is a friction adjustment on both Mercruiser and Volvo shifters. I have attached the page for these.  My experience is all throttles have this issue when trying to go slow. This is because the neutral notch is trying to bring the throttle back to the neutral position because it is so close. You can adjust the friction more to keep this from happening but sometime it makes the rest of the shifter travel too stiff. You will need to just try adjusting the friction to see if you can come up with a happy medium.

• Options
    That's the issue I have ... I will try adjusting ... Thanks for the info!!!! :-bd
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Thanks, yes that is it. Is there a trick to get the cover off for my mercruiser throttle arm to access the screw? I have the vertical mount throttle arm.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was just wondering about this too. Thanks P.M. for posting the question, and also to Steve for digging up the answer, and everyone else for issues to be aware of. Sounds like an easy fix to a nagging detail. I'm on it tonight. The weekend can't come quick enough. 
    Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    OK. That could have gone better. OMG what a tight, unforgiving spot and I still don't have access to the adjuster. Is there a hidden pin/release clip to remove the throttle/shift handle? I removed the mounting bolts for the outside housing but the rear/inside housing is huge and will hopefully rotate(after removing the handle) to get at the adjuster while it's still inside the void between the liner and hull. 

Unforgiving?...While working through the tiny 8" access port I lost a favorite wrench and a huge spot light into the netherworld of a bottomless gap that travels down under the floor and endlessly down under the liner into the completely inaccessible bilge. arrggg. 

It'll happen tonight or I'll just put it all back together and live with the randomly wavering low rpm throttle control.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options
    Argggg is right. Checking on the pin/release clip question.
  • Options
    Tiki, I know what you're dealing with!  I had replaced the shift cables on my 310 last spring (yes, my wife was saying yeah, it shifts nice now and you are selling it!) & that entire area is a real pain to work with!  Good luck & think of those cold ones you'll have when you're done!

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Thanks DI. Saw your post on the raft up. Sure sounds like our cast of characters.

Hey, Any clues on getting that shifter handle off? Mine shifts great and is smooth as ice but like PM I'd really like it to stay where it's set at lower rpms. Upper ranges set well. Maybe I should leave well enough alone and get into the beers before I break something or loose any more tools to the void.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Guys - I read the PDF Randy sent and the process of tightening the adjustments to specific tolerances gave me pasue for thought. Just a question, but why would you risk the operation of 90% of throttle travel for low rpm trolling - I know - the answer is fishing! Why not try a quicker, easier and removable fix that doesn't risk screwing-up your throttle, cable and/or handle? I have friends who fish who have used heavy elastic bands, one guy's wife sewed him a band from the elastic drawstrings available at sewing shops and I have even seen small bungee cords used. I have seen guys with ones of different strengths for different settings. In an emergency the these type of cords can be overridden with ease. I've seen plastic and wooden "braces" used but I don't like that idea as much because these rigs are too inflexible and could stick in an emergency.It's so easy to mess-up a nice running throttle rig that I'd try something simple and less invasive first. MT
  • Options
    I gave up. Too much trouble for a rarely used throttle speed......but I don't really troll anyway.
  • Options
    I solved my problem via the recently added Mercury Smartcraft Guage. It has troll control on it. I can take the rpm's down to 500, which gets me to 2 mph, and it is steady control. This is a much better option for trolling for salmon!

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    What gauge you get?
  • Options
    There's only two that work with the MAG 350. I got the one with the rpm gauge. .

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options

Do you have a link

• Options

Here is the link to the manual. I have the tachometer unit.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/media/mercury/documents/SmartCraft_Gauges_Owners_Guide.pdf

Mark

"Boat + Water = Fun"