hot water tank /info

georgec14georgec14 Member Posts: 16
On my 342 first tank lasted 3 years. second attwood tank 3 more years.After studying the problem /I learned the tank sat on the floor /and stayed wet from rain water etc. The insulation on the tank was like a sponge/always staying wet. I put the next new tank on top of a 2inch oak block. Since then it has been 6years on the same tank.If these tanks are always wet they corrode from the outside in. hope this helps   someone else. Happy boating.
Post edited by mvn on

Comments

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great advice!!! Thanks for sharing. I may have to check into raising mine in the spring to help preserve it. A stack of stainless fender washers would also work to get it off the floor.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    very true.  Also the same for the generators as well (or anything metal).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• luckydogluckydog Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    When I replaced my hat water heater I put Starboard Plastic Sheet underneath it, I also did the same thing when I replaced my AC pump and my toilet pump, I bought it at West Marine can cut to size
  • frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Talking about rust you should check your a/c pan even if it is inside I think most of them do not drain properly here is a look at mine after a few years.I did refinish it and add shims under it to make certain it drain properly. 

• luckydogluckydog Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    Yeah mine had too much of a lip on the drain plug and it was totally even (flat) so I lift it ever so slightly on one end and then lowered the drain plug.
    But I will still keep an eye on it
  • golfdoggolfdog Member Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info., excellent advice.
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    See how high the drain opening is from the bottom?
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had my new boat surveyed before purchasing. People thought I was crazy. The surveyor gave me many suggestions, one was this one, except we raised in on a polypropylene 1/2" sheet, so no rotting to worry about.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

Mark, whats the difference if its sitting on a plastic sheet or sitting on the boat fiberglass bottom? There still is no air gap between the heater and the potential water touching the bottom of the heater?
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I see the difference as it raises it off the bottom where water lays.  It may not allow air under it, but it still keeps the moisture off of it.  There are other things that are like a rubber crate like material that does allow air to circulate as well.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

2- 1 inch strips running long ways would raise it up enough. Good Idea Handy!
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    The plastic sheet stays dry as it sits off the fibreglass floor. The moisture hardly ever comes from the heater itself, but from surrounding ingress water, so by elevating the heater the insulation stays dry by stopping the wicking effect. It's better than wood as wood can soak up moisture and still cause wicking in the insulation.

Also we added a hose to the safety relief valve and directed any potential overflow to the bilge instead of allowing it to spray everywhere (next to charger), if it should release through the safety valve.
    Post edited by MarkB on

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"