Options

Kill switch cord

andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
Does anyone actually use this safety feature? I can see the need on Jet Skis,  but how practical are they on boats? I understand the reasoning behind requiring them, but frankly I never use mine. Perhaps solo skippering on long cruises at speed I should be. With other safety matters I'm very cautious.
Andy

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can personally tell you about a guy (screwing around) who was tossed from his boat that then circled back around and propped him. Dead. If he would have used the kill switch he might still be around.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    A kill switch should be used whenever operating alone, that way if you do happen to fall overboard you will have a boat to swim to, instead of watching it disappear!
  • Options
    I know I "should" use it, I'm just curious what percentage of boaters "do" use it. 100%, 70%, 50%, ?%. I'm familiar with the accident in England, where a guy fell out of a high performance Zodiac-type boat and it circled back and killed him and one of his kids I think. Horrible tragedy, but I don't think he was operating the boat responsibly unfortunately.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never use mine. When I bought the boat, it was one of the first things that I removed.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    Never used mine either. Thank God, I never needed it.

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thought they were only on outboard motor boats.
  • Options
    Built in safety. Should be used, we use it on our Wave-runner, which is logical.

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what the law says about needing a kill switch, but I'd guess it says you need one.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    nhsdnhsd Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    I always use mine on my Seadoo, never on my boat

Dave

2002 Captiva 212, 5.0 220 hp, Alpha 1, 1.62 gears

Moon Township, PA - boating in the Ohio River

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,562 mod
    Can't say I have one on my current boat.  It'd sure be one heck of a ride if you fell out from the helm seat on my boat.  It does get used on my dinghy.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nope, I had left mine hanging, it got caught up on the shift lever and killed the motor- spent about an hour trying to figure out why the motor stopped. Threw it overboard.
  • Options
    Not sure, but I was always of the impression that it was at least as much for if you fall over IN the boat as it is for falling OUT of the boat. Take that turn too hard after a few too many libations and suddenly you have a boat going full tilt toward something without you in control - the kill switch would at least cut the motor so you don't ram something at full throttle. All that said, I still don't wear mine.... of course I don't drink either :)

Dave

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nhsd,

Kind of like this ... 2 min 20 sec mark.

http://youtu.be/BB5LXF0c__g

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    That is a great video!!!
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok if that was anyone on here you need to resign.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    For once I agree with Handyman........ That water was not even rough and right from the start not one person on that boat looked like they were having fun. The operator of that boat should never ever get behind the wheel of a boat again........ 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Agreed whole heartedly.

• Options
    Well at first I was going to say that at least he had the kill switch active since the boat stopped immediately when this happened, however a few seconds later someone clearly shuts down the engine, so the kill switch was not active. In most situations when something like that happened the boat would still be going full blast with nobody in control. Did anyone see, or know, why that boat stopped with the engine still running when that happened?

Dave

• Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    If you look closely at the video just has he lost control he seems to reduce the throttle ...
  • Options
    He appears to have crossed a wake at the wrong angle at too high of speed, then lost control. There are some funny **** remakes of the video set to music. The driver has one heck of a monkey bubble on his forehead.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I had seen that before.....why is he going full throttle, all the way back, back to full throttle...did he throw it in reverse along the way there? 
  • Options
    and that's one reason I got the 270- not much out there that can make a wake I can't deal with!
  • Options
    checkmatecheckmate Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure fountain boats have separate shifters for throttle and forward and reverse
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best part is to watch the guy sitting in the back, he takes3 major head to window hits. The girl worried about he broken fingernail was funny too. The driver was a tool.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    One of my strict personal rules while skippering is to NEVER leave the helm with the boat in gear. I also always wear a PFD when I leave the harbor. Nothing can make you immune from mishaps, but I try to keep risks to a minimum.
    Andy