Options

Does anyone gopro?

I got a gopro camera last season and have been on a quest to find the perfect mounting location. I think it'd be cool to have a 3/4 angle view of the whole boat from the rear or front while underway. Thinking of building a pvc extension pole and mounting it somehow. Does everyone have a favorite mounting location?

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to but wasn't using it enough,so I sold mine. I had a suction cup mount that I put on my radar arch, inside the cabin. The camera hung upside down, but on the gopro you can flip the video and display for upside down mount. It was pointed to the stern, as I recorded my fishing, buy I could get some good scenes of the boat underway. The best go pro footage I've seen on boats is when the camera is mounted way above the boat looking down on everything. I don't know how they mount the camera, but there's obviously a way to do it.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    I have one but have not used it on my boat yet. I have a remote for mine and use it snowmobiling. I certainly plan on using it in different spots on the boat this coming year.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I've done a few.  This one is from a storm we hit on the way home.  My wife edited out some of the good lightning (by accident).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B00nmQfqjtY8R0EtalN1cEdHTjg&authuser=0

Took some from our cruise ship balcony last year as we left Port Everglades.  Used it snorkeling.  And just got a Phantom Quad for Christmas with a GoPro mount.  Been practicing with it some.  I have a friend who takes some amazing video with his GoPro/Phantom.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume the phantom is a drone....there are some really cool boating with drone that really give you some nice shots of the area....there is one really good "series" on youtube where they run out of miami to the bahamas on a couple jet skis and a small boat- really nice shooting...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiWZTy0brf0 is one but there are others with drone as well that are really cool!
  • Options
    I have seen a couple more where it's just mounted but to be honest, they get a little boring.......
  • Options
    Chrisvr6Chrisvr6 Member Posts: 166 ✭✭
    Was thinking to mount mine onto the pole light that plugs into the stern for nighttime. Or a pvc pipe that extends out to the side for a 3/4 view.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would be a long ride on a jet ski. I would like to take a boat to the bahamas sometime.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    out of west plam, it's about 45 mins.....sure is pretty. One thing that just confounds me is the speed they run at in an unknown area...I suppose being a jet boat instead of an out drive, that takes some of the anx out of it but when I'm out of a marked channel, I'm at idle speed standing.....I know it's a lot different than up north in the rivers or lakes but on our inter coastal waterways, you can't even go by the charts as the shoals are ever changing....maybe some folks just have more money to blow than I! Sure looks like fun though.....for about a month minimum which I could never take off for....
  • Options
    Skippy79Skippy79 Member Posts: 29
    great series by those guys, have seen the whole lot about a year or so ago..

I mount the gopro with either a suction mount or on gopole stick. 
    I've got a DJI phantom Vision drone to play with this year. Can't wait for a bit of decent weather here in Belgium