Options

Good Infos on all kind of repair for canvas Zippers

Comments

• Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Has anyone used these products for canvas rips and tears?  I have a hole and curious if I need to go the professional route or if this is a DIY.  This is on my winter cover.

Also how long does the waterproofing last on these winter covers?  I believe mine is Sunbrella.  Only about 3 years old.

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    If you are relying on in in the winter, I'd say after 3 years you are probably close to applying some water resistant spray.  They work extremely well.  As far as the patch, I had to repair a couple on mine and just had it done.  They had extra of the same material and matched it nicely and didn't cost much at all.  It is getting close to using it though, so time may be a factor.

French, great web site!!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Yea the gentleman I am talking to wants $350 to do the repair and to waterproof.  I was thinking of doing it myself but A) I dont have a sewing machine and b) if I were to buy one that would handle the proper thread it would be expensive.  The material needs to be cleaned before applying waterproofing correct?  I may just have it done.

What do you think of that Tear-aid stuff?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    350$ for one patch and waterproofing he his trying to take you for a ride. Just go see a shoe maker who does repair on shoes and have him sew in a patch. Then just get a bottle of waterproofing and apply it. 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you use 303 for the waterproofing?
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    350$ for one patch and waterproofing he his trying to take you for a ride. Just go see a shoe maker who does repair on shoes and have him sew in a patch. Then just get a bottle of waterproofing and apply it. 
    I need to clean before waterproofing correct?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, to do it right. You get all kinds of contaminants off that will block the absorption of the waterproofing. If your canvas is in decent shape you can get many years out of re-waterproofing. The trick imo is to not let the canvass get too far gone before you re-do the waterproofing. 
  • Options
    Do you use a canvas cleaner?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Yes it is better to clean it first just use good soap and the brush that you use to clean your deck and rinse well with a hose let dry.  303 is probably the best for waterproofing do read the instructions.
  • Options
    I have been doing exactly what @frenchship says for 25 years with canvas. It works. haven't been using 303 for 25 years as it's a lot newer product but it really works too make sure the canvas is really dry before using the 303.....and don't be shy with the 303.
  • Options
    I did all this with my bimini tops and mooring cover.  I have to use a non detergent I believe, like baby soap.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    TEAR MENDER. Thats the product you want for repairs shown above.  The bottle has a picture of an older guys face on it. Get a scrap piece of matching material and patch following instructions.  Fast and easy as well as more durable than stiching.  $5.00 for a bottle and most canvas shops have scrap piles of material they will just give you free or very cheap.

LG
  • Options
    that is a ridiculous price!  If you end up my way, I use Creations by Taylor.  They did several patches on mine for under 100 bucks.  Or do as LG stated.

• Options
    I actually spoke with Creations by Taylor, I will be dropping it off Saturday.  But I will also looking into LGs method.  Thanks fellas.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah $350 is way too much. I'm almost thinking it wouldn't be much more just to replace that entire section of the canvas. A lot of guys don't actually know how to do it properly, so they spend a lot of labor and material fixing stuff, and end up costing you a fortune. 

I can't see a patch like that costing more than $100 (and should probably be half that). 

Waterproofing is easy, just do it yourself. Clean it with a soap and brush (I use Starbrite soap), and let it dry thoroughly. Then spray on a coat of the canvas sealer (Sunbrella makes a good one too). 303 is good as well. Don't go heavy on it, as it will drip all over everything and if it dries, it makes a mess. Rather go with a full cover (non-dripping) spray, give it 15 to 20 minutes and apply a second coat.

Once you spray on the sealer, make sure you clean the overspray off your issinglass with proper cleaner (like Plexus) and if it's near your boat, clean off the overspray from the gelcoat. Do this quickly so nothing dries where it shouldn't.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    edited October 2015
    @06R270 when I did my waterproofing I taped-off my vinyl/eisenglass/strataglass using painters' tape, so it wouldn't adhere too hard. In my experience getting the 303 off the "windows" was too risky and could result in damage. I was told by the Sunbrella rep to spray the canvas in the sun. No kidding! I would have thought not but he said yes, that's the way.....and only after it is totally dry. BTW 303 High Tech Fabric Guard is the only repellency product (as of Summer 2015) that Sunbrella recommends.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I am currently repairing and waterproofing my winter cover.  Bimini's & mooring cover have already been done.  Although I am going to do them again before next season as I dont think they have been done in a long time and had some seepage into the material at certain spots.

Good advice friends on the taping off the glass, appreciate it as always.

Taking it to DI's place this weekend and then will waterproof in my back yard on Sunday.  Save me a few hundo...Ill take it and run!
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    If I were down at the boat I'd meet up with you Patrick!  But she's all covered up for the winter already.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    ah snap well next year then.  I will keep the promise to make it out there sometime.  I may still stop by the Marina and check it out. 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    If you do, & you should, go out B-dock (in corner by gazebo - park in second entrance just before bridge) and take it to second pier out.  You can check out my cover in slip B-46.  It is Rinker heaven in there with, I believe, every cruiser model covered.