Options

Bravo 3 Steering left and right

I am having issues with my steering on my 2007 230 Atlantic cuddy.  I only just purchased it used and it seems to drift left and right constantly. My old boat had no play in the steering at all - 1981 Searay SRV225 alpha one.  I am thinking if it might be fixed by using zincs with the rudders on the B III, right now those zincs are flat.  Worst case may be gimbal bearing needs replacement but there are only 120 hours on this boat, it sat in dry storage a few years.

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is probably the gimbal ring, not the bearing. The zincs with rudders won't correct it and are for boats without power steering.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    PauldanPauldan Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    thanks Cableguy Greg. I do have power steering, It's got he MAG 350 MPI motor. Any idea how much to fix the Gimbal Ring?, hard to believe with only 120 hrs.
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    If you can move your sterndrive by hand right to left it is a good chance that the gimbal ring is
    loose. Did you notice if you have any water leak coming out at the steering shaft?a know problem on bravo 111 and some alpha gen 11it could be fixed with a kit from JR marine
    you would need to investigate where the loose is coming from by moving the sterndrive right to left.

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Get a helper to hold the steering wheel stationary (engine off) while you get under the boat and push the drive right and left.  How much does it move?  If it moves several inches, get a pro to check it out ASAP.  A worn gimbal ring can become a serious safety issue.  (I know this from experience!)

• Options
    I think that several inches are way to much it should barely move side to side.
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    Get it checked ASAP you could lose your steering while underway they sell a tool to remove the nut on the ring rather than drill the housing it that or pull the engine Google Gimble Ring removal 

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    Thanks for all this advice. I did not mention that it is only a problem a slow speed, anything above 1000 rpm it drives straight. Seems strange that wear could be so bad on gimbal ring with only 120 hours, 2007 build.  
  • Options
    Maybe it has more to do with the weight distribution in the boat, 
  • Options

I am going to have it on drydock and then see how much play is around the B3 outdrive.  should know in a couple days what my wallet will need.

cheers.

• Options
    That is something totally different. It still could be the gimbal ring, but more than likely it is a slow speed wander. My old 232 with an alpha drive was really bad. My 280 with a B3 drive still does it, but not nearly as bad as the 232.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Keep us posted
  • Options
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you steering at all when it "wanders" left to right? Oversteering could be the problem. If your not touching the wheel and it gets out of control, then that's an issue. If it only goes 1 or 2 feet left before it self corrects to the other direction, than that's normal.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options

Well there is play in the wheel and it will not steer straight on it's own at all. it will go left and right constantly. I though it was because of the bravo 3.

will know better when I can push left right on the leg out of water.

Cheers.

• Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    120 hours not likely a gimble ring mine went out between 5 and 600 hours

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would take it out on the water and see what it does without touching the wheel. It will steer right and left, but it should correct itself and only wander a few ft to starboard and port.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    The only other thing that I can think of would be the steering rack. I have heard of them going bad, but not too often.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Just a thought. Check your prop timing. Scroll down to links from friendship. Maybe someone put the prop on wrong that is adding to prop thrust side to side at low RPMs.

http://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/2204/so-how-bad-is-it

• Options
    Had the boat out and news is good. Gimbal bearing and ring are both in great condition. My 2007 bravo 3 has the new type Gimbal ring " square type steering lever, almost impossible to move.  So possible slack in steering maybe from steering cable, which is almost impossible to get at in my 230 Cuddy. No room around engine , I would hate to ever have to rebuild the motor -how the heck do you get it out. Apparently most newer boat have the engine in before the floor and deck now.    
  • Options
    Almost all new, and probably most boats since the middle to late 90's, have the engine installed while the hull is separated. It is easier to manufacture, but harder to work on the boats.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    I had the prop installed wrong from the dealer... most likely source of the problem... don't forget that deep V boats like to wander at idle... you shouldn't be able to move the drives by hand at all..
  • Options

Hi Capt Ron,

Not sure how the props are installed wrong, they are not keyed so can install in any grove. I have the bravo 3 drive.  The drive itself does not move left and right when out of water.  I wonder if one  or two of the  blades may have bent slightly?

PDan.

• Options
    Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

The Bravo 3 twin props can be installed in any position as the hub is splined. However, it is important to have them offset, like in the link Frenchship posted in his previous post, which I posted a link to this discussion. Just something to check.

• Options
    On the Bravo 3, the front prop should have a blade in the 12 o'clock position, and the rear prop should have a blade in the 6 o'clock position. If you turn the props to get one at 12 o'clock and the opposite one isn't at 6 o'clock then they are out of "sync".
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
  • Options

Thanks again everyone for the prop sinc check. Yes they are at 12 and 6 O'clock.

• Options
    It may be the steering play that is a problem in the cable. I have heard about two types of steering systems on the Rinker 230 , does anyone know which one is used here?
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd take a good look at those anodes.....