Options

Drew, Look at this and report back.

Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

that's hot, man..

the piaziometric and common rail systems are just getting utilized at their full potential about now..  it's a tiny crystal that predictably expands when juice hits it, pressing a little lever, which opens the gate and lets fuel pass... they are WICKED fast, allowing up to seven distinct injection events per compression event.. wicked fast... a high pressure fuel pump provides the pressure to the common rail, and the pressures that can be achieved are ridiculous.. talking 30,000psi...

variable pitch on the turbos provides for quick spool... they can't be compared to the ol' fixed wheel turbos.  it didn't say sequential turbos, but I'm reading between the lines that they are.. that means a larger atmosphere turbo feeds more air to the smaller high pressure turbo than it can use at any given moment (so you don't run out of air) at higher RPM's, but at lower RPM's the variable geometry makes the high pressure turbo almost transparent, allowing for more use of the larger wheel (read: reduces turbo lag).

there's a lot of promise with this thing... I reckon I'll be watching it and see what happens... it makes a lot more sense to have smaller footprint engines provide the punch of a BBC... the guys in the 34' on up ought to be watching these things too.  Al often spoke of the battle between gas and diesel, and giving gas the heads up on hole shot and top end.... I've got news for him:  Those sequential variable geometry turbos coupled with the high pressure common rail + piaziometric injectors?  Diesel just doubled down on gas... those gassers won't keep up.

in example of that, and then I'll shut up- my truck runs high pressure common rail+ piazio injectors, as well as sequential variable geometry turbos... I can roll that 9500# truck from 0-60 in under 5 seconds, and run a quarter mile in 12.835 seconds @ 107mph.  

• Options
    edited March 2015
    I will send you a PM also. I wonder what my 342 would do with 2 of these 370 HPs in her? 
    Post edited by Handymans342 on
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    The next limit may be the strength of the engine mounts.
  • Options
    I will send you a PM also. I wonder what my 342 would 2 with 2 of these 370 HPs in her? 
    It would scream... 4200rpm is pretty crazy for an oil squeezer.. yours govern at what? 3500ish? 
  • Options
    The next limit may be the strength of the engine mounts.
    It's getting crazy what builders are doing.. no?  

The platform they're working with is boundless, and oil isn't as threatening to blow like gas with predet... It's usually a melted piston or blown head gaskets (which people drive on with no idea) with the diesels.. 

Advancing the timing of injection and chasing the piston south with additional injection (those wicked fast injectors allow that) allows for stupid torque... Air is the key... Air is used to cool the burn, and keep the injectors.from becoming tiny cutting torches... With sequential turbos, and big enough supply (likely 55~57mm), the risk of catastrophe abates. 
  • Options
     Not sure if the 342s came with big blocks or what small blocks were available in 2003 but I would love to blow them away with oilers :
  • Options
    Have you ever heard a running sequential turbo diesel?  They don't whistle, and are suprisingly quiet... The exhaust sounds like a hair dryer... They displace some serious air. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Handy, I think the 350Mag was the largest that came in the 342s in 2003.  I hope they get all this diesel stuff figured out and make it a bit cheaper before I retire, so I can have a nice cruiser that can still go fast and cheap!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought the 6.2 was available in the 342s.  I recall reading the BoatTest.com review of the 342 and being disappointed that boat they used has 6.2s and not the base 5.7s that I have.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    I've heard the USA has so much oil they don't know where to store it and it is illegal to export it. Oil price is expected to go as low as $20 barrel which will be a big cost factor between diesel and gas. The price of diesel has not gone down as much as gas.
  • Options
    I'll never wrap my brain around the push for bio based gasoline blends, and then the precise opposite for diesel... that's another story, though. 

the cost of production for diesel and akin oils is mucho lessor than that of gasoline- it's used hugely in this country in everything from heating oils to locomotives and jumbo passenger jets; passenger cars through over the road trucks all the way to ocean freighters you could relocate an average US neighborhood aboard.  

diesel used to be cheaper than gas- and the sense this makes is lacking... I can't help but think it isn't driven by supplies, but instead by some gov't types who can't afford to lose the income collected from every drop of it.... you know, the same types who think the oil companies cutting a 4% profit is profiteering, but who collect 15% off the same volume sold... 
  • Options
    So what was the HP rating for the small blocks in 2003?
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    According to Boattest.com  http://www.boattest.com/boats/boat_video.aspx?ID=433

The 6.2L they tested with were 320hp each.  I believe the 5.7L MPI 350 MAG is rated at 300.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
  • Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    I believe the 6.2 has much more torque than the 5.7, and torque is what will help you get upon  plane. This is where diesels excel.
  • Options
    • Top speed for the Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee is 47.3 mph (76.1 kph), burning 48.8 gallons per hour (gph) or 184.71 liters per hour (lph).
    • Best cruise for the Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee is 36.9 mph (59.4 kph), and the boat gets 1.30 miles per gallon (mpg) or 0.55 kilometers per liter (kpl), giving the boat a cruising range of 276 miles (444.18 kilometers).
    • Tested power is 2 x 320-hp MerCruiser MX 6.2 MPI.
  • Options
    48 gallons an hour times $3.50 a gallon =$168 an hour!!! HF
  • Options
    First off, not too many people are going to go at full throttle, let alone an hour at full throttle is just insane.  Cruising speed of 37mph getting a range of 276 miles is great for that size boat! 0.75 gallons burned for every mile isn't bad.  That is a great speed and a decent fuel burn.  Dig the numbers up on a 400, then a 420!  you are working towards half the efficiency.  I'd say my 400, fully loaded up, about 33mph, burns 0.8 miles per gallon on a really nice day, which is 1.25 gal/mi.

It really is all about the upfront cost.  If they can sell more and get it down, heck yeah we'd all have more efficient diesels!

• Options
    DI, what are you talking about? You did that to VA beach and MT would always go WOT to the next location. 
  • Options
    I did not go wide open throttle to VA beach.  I went at a comfortable cruise speed.  (you must be getting confused with your wot speed and my cruise speed).  My WOT would probably burn 100gph.  At 33mph, I burn ~40gph.  I made it to VA beach (~160 miles) in 5 1/2 hours using ~250 gallons. 

• Options
  • Options
    You are 5 miles an hour more than me at 33MPH And I would burn 20 GPH. 
  • Options
    Handy, I thought you would burn less than that.  I know a 390 that I boat with that has diesels (basically same boat as mine) burns ~25gph, maybe a bit less, at ~28mph (their normal cruise speed). I'm not sure what they top out at but they do stay up with my higher cruise speed when going with me.

• Options
    So MTs boat has a total of 860HP that is .058 mph per horsepower. My boat comes in at .066 mph per HP. If I went up to 740 HP I could stay with his boat but burn half. 
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    But you dont have 740 HP........lol
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Neither do you
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I dont want them.........
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    It ok Ray. What do you have?
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Merc 4.2 TDI Made by Volkswagen. Performance numbers may not be accurate - hehehe........
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    We love our recently installed Volvo 300's with the Ocean X drives.  ER has lots of room for the 300's.  Never knew the Rinker name until I ran across an article about the 340 model in a boating magazine.

Tony
    Salt Shaker 342