Options

Anchor Windlass Fleming

jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
I am looking at Lewmar PRO-Sport 550 windlass for my 2000 242 and have been hearing issues with the plastic fleming breaking. What does the fleming do, and what can be done to keep it from breaking?

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Fleming keeps the rope or rode from getting pinched in the pulley. There should be a stainless replacement or you can do what I did and switched to all chain.
  • Options
    I agree chain would be the way to go, but 150 ft of chain would be a lot of weight in the front of a 24ft boat, and would be difficult for me to pull in by hand if the windlass dies. Thanks for explaining what the fleming does.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    The bucket of chain weighs like a 5 gallon bucket of drywall mud. I dont think it would cause any issues. Plus you might use a lighter chain than I did for a 342.
    Post edited by Handymans342 on
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a 2001 242 and been thinking about installing a windless also. Please post picks of the install and picks of the windless you use. Thanks!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I thought about using a vertical windlass like the V700 for a cleaner look with the motor below deck, but this would reduce the space available for the rope or chain, also the horizontal windlass seems easier to install. I hope to do the install late spring. I'll post photos.